Unattended batch capture from DVR with Girder + USB-UIRT

Frostillicus

Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Greetings all,

Ain't it frustrating to peer through the top of a Comcast 6412 DVR box, knowing your stored programs are locked up on its hard drive in who knows what file system -- but probably in some familiar video file format (MPEG-2?) -- and having no way to just copy them right down for longer-term storage on your PC, all at once? If you want to record stored programs, you've got to capture them 1-by-1 as they play back, the old-fashioned way (if you can call things like what user Bulldog did old-fashioned).

In the last couple of months I have built up no less than 47 episodes of SCTV, which has been on TV Land late night Friday, on my DVR box. I wanted to capture them as compact decent-quality XVID video files, but I didn't like the idea of having to do it manually and keep my hands off my PC as they were captured.

Well, I'm a reg'd user of a really great utility called Girder (3.3) which allows automatic and/or diversely-triggered simulation of just about anything you can do manually in Windows -- clicking buttons, typing keystrokes, moving the mouse, etc.

It supports a device which is like a USB learning remote for your PC, the USB-UIRT, which can record and playback just about any infrared remote control signal. (With it and Girder I can now use my numeric keypad & some other keys to send the IR signals that do everything the Comcast remote can do, while Scroll Lock is on).

But what I'm posting about today is the Girder 3.3 program group I have recently finished which orchestrates batch capturing of stored shows from a Comcast DCT6412 DVR box using my favorite TV/Capture program, ATV2000. It's been working great; I've been sucking 8 episodes of SCTV from the thing each night while I sleep (soon I can move on to my stored episodes of Venture Bros.).

Please see thread 11632 on the Girder forums at Promixis d0t kom (dang this stingy anti-spam-link mechanism) for more details.

Maybe if I post about this on a few more forum sites like this, more than 1 person will download my program group (and that was me ;) ).

They can take my VCR when they pry it from my cold, dead hands, etc. etc.,

Frostillicus
"What a time to be alive"

satellite installer starts house fire

hopkin vs taylor will Comcast carry hd?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)