TurboSilver HD...the final say

LeM22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Northern VA
So, I contacted Dish tech online "just to see." The rep was very nice, but no new channels beyond CMT,Comedy, and Spike HD's.

Here were her comments:
Of the aforementioned channels in the description, the only one available in the TurboHD Silver package is BET HD.

Later on...

At this time Nick, MTV, and VH1 are only available in our Classic packages. We are constantly evaluating the programming in our packages and this is always subject to change. Please refer to d i s h n e t w o r k dot c o m for programming updates as it is your best source for information.

Later on...

I apologize in advance for what I'm about to have to tell you; however, the information is incorrect in our programming application (they've escalated the mistake to get it corrected), but Turbo Silver was also not supposed to receive BET despite what it shows-which is why it's not authorizing.

and finally...

I completely understand where you're coming from. I apologize for the inconvenience. Hopefully in the future we'll see these channels in the Turbo packages as well.

These chat reps are probably getting hammered by unhappy customers all shift. It is amazing that they can put together a polite chat session. I'll be the first to admit that it is not a job that I could handle.

We are talking about a situation where if the customer is willing to pay well less than a dollar more a day they could have all the channels that they want.

I know that if I was a Turbo Gold customer I would be weighing the pros/cons of down grading to Bronze+ and using the HD addon. You lose a few HD channels, but gain overall content for the same exact price. If you watch the channels that you are gaining in HD by 'downgrading' to Bronze+ more than the channels you would be losing, why not? You keep your locals, RSN, and gain the most watched HD channels that Dish is keeping from Turbo subscribers. If you add in the year of free Max, that also has HD channels, it turns into a very good deal.

My point is that I do not think that it is as bad as everybody is making it out to be. Sure, the naming of the Turbo packages is a bad gimick... but we can all have the channels we want for a few cents a day.

These chat reps are probably getting hammered by unhappy customers all shift. It is amazing that they can put together a polite chat session. I'll be the first to admit that it is not a job that I could handle.

We are talking about a situation where if the customer is willing to pay well less than a dollar more a day they could have all the channels that they want.

I know that if I was a Turbo Gold customer I would be weighing the pros/cons of down grading to Bronze+ and using the HD addon. You lose a few HD channels, but gain overall content for the same exact price. If you watch the channels that you are gaining in HD by 'downgrading' to Bronze+ more than the channels you would be losing, why not? You keep your locals, RSN, and gain the most watched HD channels that Dish is keeping from Turbo subscribers. If you add in the year of free Max, that also has HD channels, it turns into a very good deal.

My point is that I do not think that it is as bad as everybody is making it out to be. Sure, the naming of the Turbo packages is a bad gimick... but we can all have the channels we want for a few cents a day.

Or Dish could just put the channels in the Turbo packages and everything would be fixed!

In reality it is not a big deal but in principal it is. What was the highest price increase for on Feb 1st if not to receive at least equal amount of new HD content?

At the end of the day being a Turbo Gold customer, I'm still happy. Two months ago I was paying 50 dollars more with Mediacom and only had 10 HD channels and had to do a cold reset daily on my receiver to keep my dvr working.

There are only two logical outcomes. 1. Negotiations take a little longer for the Turbo packages and in time we will get the channels. Or 2, The Turbo packages will start to fade out as customers will start to see it as a second rate HD option.

It would just be nice if we had an idea on which outcome Dish was working towards!

Attachments

• HdOnlyPkg.JPG
    HdOnlyPkg.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
The things is is that E* was just not upfront about what TurboHD would be. If they had said from the beginning that it would be different than Classic + HD, or if they had given TurboHD a different name, like SoloHD or something like that, then we could all understand.

But the fact is E* made it seem like the TurboHD Bronze/Silver/Gold would all be the same as the Classic + TurboHD Bronze/Silver/Gold.

This is just not how you run a business. You TELL your customers what you are doing, you are upfront with them you are honest. If you do that, THEN you have what we call as good customer service. The opposite is what we are experiencing right now, and it is the reason so many people are so upset (including me).

The things is is that E* was just not upfront about what TurboHD would be. If they had said from the beginning that it would be different than Classic + HD, or if they had given TurboHD a different name, like SoloHD or something like that, then we could all understand.

But the fact is E* made it seem like the TurboHD Bronze/Silver/Gold would all be the same as the Classic + TurboHD Bronze/Silver/Gold.

This is just not how you run a business. You TELL your customers what you are doing, you are upfront with them you are honest. If you do that, THEN you have what we call as good customer service. The opposite is what we are experiencing right now, and it is the reason so many people are so upset (including me).

They really screwed up. Until I joined this message board I just assumed the HD offerings would be the same in HD only packages. They use the same metalics, phrases like "100% HD service"... it is very hard not to assume that they are the same package minus SD channels.

They are ripping you guys off, but you are letting them. No amount of reason is going to force them to add the missing channels, but a big drop of Turbo subscriptions may. The only thing you can really do is change your package to a price equivalent Classic package with an HD addon or switch to DirecTV.

Personally, I'm strongly considering switching. The past couple Dish price increases have pushed the price near the equivalent packages at DirecTV, and they don't seem to get their customers involved in contracts disputes as much as Dish does. The only package that is considerably more is the 'Everything' package.

I just feel for the CSRs who have to put up with this on a daily basis because of what a couple knuckle heads came up with over a round of golf.

The are a lot of unknowns, but what is available to each customer has to be part of the contract with the provider. It is not in Dish's interest to be paying x cents per subscriber and then not make it available for that subscriber. One could image that MTV says you can not provide this to customer group x unless they also get the SD version of TVland or some other non-HD channel - in a way forcing the subscriber who wants x in HD to subscribe to y also.

It's amazing how much easier it is to be polite when you can cut and paste pre-written polite phrases.

One could image that MTV says you can not provide this to customer group x unless they also get the SD version of TVland or some other non-HD channel - in a way forcing the subscriber who wants x in HD to subscribe to y also.

You're probably right about that.

In that case Dish should just give the "sd channel :mad:s)" to the Turbo folks in the mean time.

Whether it's the channel provider or Dish it just appears that they are making this more difficult than needed.

In my earlier post my attachment shows what Dish's intention was originally and could still be. I know the TV schedule has not been update in some time but they still advertise it on their website today. And in my case was what I used two months ago when deciding which package to pick when signing up with Dish. I only wish I knew about this website before hand.

Two thumbs up to SatelliteGuys.

That same website also listed Fox News and Business HD in the turbo packages for a while, and is also home to the graphic posted earlier in this thread that clearly indicates that turbo has all of the classic HD channels.

That same website also listed Fox News and Business HD in the turbo packages for a while, and is also home to the graphic posted earlier in this thread that clearly indicates that turbo has all of the classic HD channels.
I think they are straightening thing out a bit, after re-looking at the site, and talking with many CSR's. I doubt they even knew what was going on for a while. I'm interested to see where things go.

@jFaber

I'd be interested to know where the attachment you posted came from. Was it from Dish's website? If so, is it still posted at some link. Or was it from some printed advertisement, that you scanned?

@jFaber

I'd be interested to know where the attachment you posted came from. Was it from Dish's website? If so, is it still posted at some link. Or was it from some printed advertisement, that you scanned?

Thar attachment was the reason I signed up for the TurboHD package that I did. If I knew it wasn't true...then I would not have made the choice I made.

Bad weekend with Dish

HD Locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)