tuning an fta dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

toohott7718

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Hello, I have installed dish net and directv for 15 years, I am starting to get into Fta systems, but I am having trouble. I use a super buddy satellite meter and I never have any problems with it. I am trying to set up NANOSAT CNX NANO PREMIUM SE receiver, a Universal Dual/Twin KU LNBF (10.7-12.75GHz (SatMaximum) and a Hotdish90 (36inch,90cm) dish.
I am wanting to tune to a satellite with the most english channels and it will be in columbia, missouri 65202. I tried for 5 hours with no luck at all with my super buddy.I tried to tune into any satellite that was programmed into my meter. The dish says its elevation range is 0-90 degrees but the lowest it says on the dish is 25 degrees, so I'm wondering if these dishs use a different scale. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

I would try aiming for 125w. I always have had great success using a map compass. Dont forget about LNB skew

If you have a universal LNB do you have it set for 10600? A Standard LNB would work better for you.

Last edited:
I find the best way to aim a dish is with a FTA receiver and small LCD monitor at the dish site. Using the receiver as a meter, tune to an active transponder on the satellite you're trying to hit. The receiver should give you almost instant feedback.

As Freezy stated, don't forget about LNB skew. Dish and Direct LNBs do not need to be skewed, but linear satellite reception requires skew. This involves rotating the LNB left or right, depending on whether the satellite you're trying to hit is East or West of due south from your location. Twist the LNB toward the East if the satellite is East of due South, and West if the satellite is West of due South.

Hitting a linear Ku-Band satellite is more difficult than aiming at a Dish or Direct satellite. Move the dish in very small increments, and very slowly. The signals you are aiming for are considerably weaker than those of a DBS satellite.

you have not said which satellite you are trying to aim at?

that is a universal LNB, are you setting it up in the menu properly with the correct type and frequencies?

whithout the correct settings in your menu you can aim all day and you will never get anything

hello, thank you for all the responses. I am trying to point to 125 west. I have the lnb frequency on 10600 since its a universal. what should the tp freqency be on? what would the settings be for a standard lnb? thank you

10600 L.O and also turn ON 22khz (that's to command the universal LNBF to use the 10600 frequency.[freqs 11.7-12.2]. Otherwise the LO is 9750[22khz OFF] for frequencies 10.7-11.7)
freq=12180 SR=30000 polarity=vertical AMC 21 at 125.0°W - LyngSat.com
dishpointer.com :
Address: columbia, missouri (If that's only 'general area' recalc may be in order. dishpointer.com
Latitude: 38.9517°
Longitude: -92.3341°
Satellite: 125W AMC-21 | GALAXY 14 (G-14)
Elevation: 33.7°
Azimuth (true): 225.6°
Azimuth (magn.): 225.1°
LNB Skew [?]: 33.7° [Twist of the lnbf in it's holder, top to the west.]Settings for a standard FTA linear Ku LNBF are Type-Standard, LO-11750
22khz is not needed, but can be used if you add a 22khz switch to he systen to select another dish/lnbf setup.

set up this transponder (TP)
TP freq 12180
vertical polarization
SR 30000

After you get that locked in...you can do a manual scan of that transponder or do a blind-scan of the whole satellite

Here are some of the vital features of your unit:

• HDMI Output
  • MPEG-II Digital & Fully DVB Compliant.
  • C/KU band control for each antenna
  • LNB Tone Switch 22KHz mode on/off'
  • Multi-LNB controlled by DiSeqC =>DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and USALS
  • Total 8,000 Channels Programmable
  • Blind Scan
  • CVBS Video & Audio Output via RCA

does your box handle AC3 audio? My TV has an input for this so I forget this satellite has some funky audio going on.

From what I have read your unit doesn't pass dolby thru the HDMI cable. It may decode the ac3 on its own. I can't find that to know for sure.

when I put the receiver on transponder freq 12180 does that mean it will only get the channels for that frequency?

Last edited:
Yes-it will scan in the channel assigned to that frequency, and store them. Then just blind-scan the satellite, the box will go through the range (11,700 to 12,200mhz) and store whatever other channels that are in that range. Good luck-that first alignment can be tedious!

thank you very much:) if I use a motor to look at other satellites what else changes? do I just put the info in for that particular satellite that i want to tune to then do a channel scan, then a blind scan? thank you everyone

Once you get the motor in place and the dish aligned, the rest is cake. You simply set up the satellites that you want to watch, in the receiver menu, and call them up, scanning as you go. Channels come and go all the time, but there are lots of 'usuals' that reside almost permanently. You determine your location's coordinates, enter those numbers into your receiver's motor-setup menu, and then you may have to 'turn on' motor control for the satellites you want to view. Some may have no programming you are interested in, or have all channels scrambled like the pay-network's birds, the choices are yours. It's a great hobby.

TooHott,

You can use your SuperBuddy very nicely for setting up FTA satellite systems. I have one of the original SuperBuddy models and I LOVE it. As long as you have learned to navigate the generic satellite menus (I am sure you are well versed with the meter's use for DN and DirecTV) you will do fine. It took me a while to get accustomed to setting the SuperBuddy up for FTA stuff.

One thing that I would recommend, stick with dialing in the sats individually on fixed point dishes first, before you move into your motor setup. You cannot operate the motor with the SuperBuddy meter anyway and there is a lot to be gained from dialing in the FTA satellites on single fixed dishes. The FTA signals are a little more obscure than the pay signals because of their linear polarity and lower power signatures. They therefore present a challenge and especially when it comes to setting up a motorized system.

If all the satellites were circular polarized and high power, we'd all probably get bored and do something else for a hobby.
You are likely very used to setting up fixed point dishes for the pay providers, so take that knowledge base and apply it to the FTA spectrum so that you can witness how different it truly is first hand. Then later on you can rig up your motor and experiment with that.

You are going to find it exhilirating and a lot of fun in the end and I think you will become hooked on the hobby very quickly.
It is a lot different from setting up pay services for DN or DirecTV clients/customers. I think that you will find that you will learn a heck of a lot of "stuff" that will help you (if you're still doing pay provider installations).

RADAR

thank you everyone for all the replies. I was able to peak in 97w today with no problem with my super buddy meter. The only thing I'm still confused on is the settings.
I understand that there are 2 types of lnb's a standard and a universal, what is the setting for both?
Also the TP frequency, is it all the same basic frequency for any satellite you want to tune to?
Also the 22KHZ does that have to be on or off?
Also the DiSEqC 1.0 does that need to be on a certain setting?
Also if a motor is used what setting does it need to be on?
I just want to be clear on everything. Thank you again for all you help!!:)

Universal LNBF's have 2 L.O.'s - 10600 L.O with 22khz ON. The 22khz commands the universal LNBF to use the 10600 frequency to receive freqs 11.7-12.2.
Otherwise the LO is 9750 with 22khz OFF. this is to receive frequencies from 10.7 to 11.7.
Most receivers today have the 22 Khz turned ON and OFF automatically when LNB Type selection is "Universal" Then the receiver scans the whole Ku band from 10.7 to 12.2 (or higher)
10.7 to 11.7 is only used on some satellites over the Pacific. Some of these signals are receivable in parts of N.A.
The 11.7 to 12.2 portion of the band is used in N.A.
A "Standard" LNBF, with a single L.O. of 10750, will receive this portion of the band.
The 22Khz can then be used to operate an external switch. Commonly used to select a 2nd LNBF on another dish.
Diseqc switches can do the same. Diseqc switches can be 'daisey chained' with 22khz switches.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/134124-switch-setups-simplified.html
Motors require your Lat and Long entered in the receiver. It will then calculate where to point the dish when using USALS.
the TP frequency, is it all the same basic frequency for any satellite you want to tune to?
Each satellite will have its own unique transponders "lit up". There's not a "common" Transponder frequency SR combination that can be relied on to find multiple satellites. Check TheList! (link on top every page)

Ok I'm getting pretty good peaking the dish in, now what do I have to do to add a motor to the setup? Thank you again everyone:)

I also read about the declination angle, how do I figure that out for columbia missouri? thanks again:)

Declination angle reading and chart: Footprints by Dish Size - Latitude Declination Chart - C/Ku-Band Satellite Listing
Although the page is all about a BUD, the theory applies to any dish that is set up to track the arc. On a motorized Ku, the declination kinda 'takes care of itself' when you adjust the dish elevation on your southern satellite. And if the motor is operated by USALS, the azimuth will be also. If motor is diseqc, the azimuth will be adjusted when on the side of the arc.

Thank you for the reply, I was told that a diseqc motor was easier to hook up. what settings does the receiver need to have?

For a diseqc motor, enter Motor type: diseqc.
For USALS motor, enter Motor type: USALS
Diseqc requires you to 'guestimate", first, your southern satellite azimuth, then correct the azimuth as you move the dish E or W of there. Then you manually move the dish, with the motor, and store 'positions' in memory.(This is the same for a BUD)
USALS requires your location to be entered, along with the satellite longitude. Then the receiver calculates where to point the dish, and moves the dish to the correct position with the motor.
If the satellite isn't found there, the motors azimuth, on the pole, is adjusted. Once peaked (dish elevation and motor azimuth), it should be on the arc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dish Network: Ad Hopping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)