TP Overloads and Bin file maxes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I had TP overload again last night and it corrupted a bin file. In my pansat 3500s things go weird when this happens. You see stuff like Diseqc options change from the normal (1, 2, 3, or 4) to something like 117 by themselves and see lnb options turn to weird words like "preparing to save" and you have all sorts of weirdness when you try to move between satellites on the sg2100... basically it looks like it's moving but is not, and the signal level is like stuck at 99% but no quality rating at all.

So, anyways, I went in to channel master, deleted all tps that don't have channels in them from a clean bin that I'd saved a few days ago and went fresh. My advice is to always save several bin files and rename them different names so that you never have this problem and only one corrupted bin to go back to. Basically, save a new file name each and ever time before and after you blind scan... I also keep one main file that I use that I save too every time so that it's got the most recent stuff. I call mine 0.bin, but feel free to do whatever you want. Just remember to save a bin somewhere so that you don't get screwed and have to redo everything.

I think, but am not sure on this, the max number of satellites a bin file can have is 100 and the max number of tps that it can have in all of those 100 is 1300. Go over that and you are hosed. I don't know if there's a max number of channels. I think the Pansat claims to be able to store thousands of channels - which is probably true.... I know I've got over 1000 in there...a lot of those being foriegn language stuff that I never watch, various newsfeed channels that I rarely watch, and lots of scrambled channels that came in on random echostar scans where I forgot to choose fta only (I keep the ones I watch on favorite 1 list and rarely if ever watch anything not marked as fav 1)...

It'd be nice if there was just a one click "delete all tps with no channels stored in them" button but unfortunately, that ain't the case.

If you like to blind scan a lot and don't take all of this in to consideration, you might want to start thinking about it in case you got tp overloaded someday.

Last edited:
why dont you delete the scrambled Dish channels? That takes a lot of them out.

Good advice on updating the channel list on occasion and rename them. I usually don't rename them and just over write the old one.

I probably will delete the scrambles one of these days... Didn't have a lot of time last night as the wife was taking a 20 minute power nap while I was using CM, so I just quickly ran through the list and deleted the tps that had nothing in them.

While I only scan 6 satellites, so won't run into the same problem of transponder/channel overload, I keep three (sequentially numbered) channel bin files on my Pansat's card. When I save a new one, I delete the oldest one. As well, now and again I transfer the bin files to my computer, just in case the card ever craps out!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Any comparison of Worldbox and Starbox?

ADTH is on the move

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)