Took my patio outlet!

SimpleSimon said:
Close - on E* DP it's 1650-2150MHz. For some un known reason they decided the 'standard' bandstacking range you mentioned is not suitable for them. Probably just to make life difficult for us.
Hmmm. The patent for the DishPro LNB shows the 1550-2050MHz range. (Patent: 05959592)
LNB LOs of 11.250GHz and 10.650GHz

It looks like you have plenty of ideas. Good luck!
BTW: I've attached my old house diagram (using 301's and a 501). Any of the seven TV outlets can view channel 3 (living room 301 or DVD/VCR) or channel 4 (501 in a room without a TV). Using the computer room 301 overrides the system. Using the bedroom DVD/VCR overrides the living room 301. Not bad for two people, with your 522/322 setup you should do better.

Since that diagram I have added a SuperDish and a DP21. The 501 gets a DP34 output or 61.5, the 301's get 119-110-105. Locals on DVR. Cool.

JL

Attachments

• jl-dist04.gif
    jl-dist04.gif
    42.6 KB · Views: 212
Thanks to all of you for your help. It looks like the 1st thing I need to do is buy that bucket o' diplexers from E-bay. :D

I'll post a follow-up once I get it all working. Thanks again!

- Flappy

It Works!

gpflepsen said:
OK, I got bored :)

Not everything is labeled, but the diplexors are the plain boxes on the 522 and 322 TV2 outs. Also the diplexor on the patio line is a... diplexor. ;)

At first I used a diplecer to connect the two TV2 feeds but soon realized my mistake.

Thanks to all for your help! :bow

- Flappy

gpflepsen said:
So you have everything working now? Or did you find an error in your original installation?

I have the TV2 signals from both receivers (522@UHF60 & 311@UHF65) routed throughout my home. I originally used a diplexer instead of a splitter to combine the two TV2 outs but when the reception was bad on one of the channels, I realized my mistake.

I am off to Home Depot now for more RG6 to complete the patio portion of the installation but am confident it will work. If it doesn't, I know where I can get sound advice! :D

- Flappy

@gpflepsen

What is interesting here is that if I use a splitter instead of a diplexer on my patio, I get a much better reception. I have a standard 2-to-1 splitter; satellite2 feed and UHF TV feed to the patio wall jack, and a diplexer in the wiring closet connected to the TV2 outs and satellite in-feed at the switch.

What are your thoughts? Everything seems to be working great. The picture is grainy when using diplexer to diplexer over satellite-in feed.

- Flappy

Diplexer or Splitter?

Hopefully only one more question.

I have the combined TV2 outs at it is working well throughout my home but have a question about the patio feed. I read somewhere that a standard splitter cannot handle the higher frequencies of a satellite feed yet if I use 2 diplexers instead a diplexer and splitter, my reception is bad on the patio TV.

Please see my attached diagram for more info.

The question: By using a splitter on the LNB feed, will I potentially have problems? :confused:

Attachments

• Patio.jpg
    Patio.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 158
I'm not sure about the diplexor/splitter and why you seem to have better performance from the splitter. If you are using diplexors in similar situations elsewhere with good results, perhaps change out the diplexors with a known working set. Is the patio diplexor rated for the UHF? I'd think they would be. If a splitter is performing to expectations and isn't harming the satellite switching, maybe that is good enough. Maybe simplesimon can chime in with his thoughts.

I keep answering my own questions.

When I put a splitter on instead of the diplexer, I lost satellite 110. I put the diplexer back on, got 110 back but the reception on the patio TV is real snowy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

- Flappy

Are you using a UHF amp to boost the TV2 signals? A combined then split signal can get fairly weak quicker than you'd think.

gpflepsen said:
Are you using a UHF amp to boost the TV2 signals? A combined then split signal can get fairly weak quicker than you'd think.

I have an inline amp (10dB) at the TV2 outs just before my RG6 8-way hub. The interior TVs look fine and so did the patio TV when it was on the splitter instead of the diplexer. I was thinking about giving another amp a try at the patio UHF-out segment. I'll let you know how it goes.

- Flappy

You still haven't aswered Gerry's question about whether you have tried a different SET of diplexers. This sure sounds like a bad one to me.

Failing that, hook up the diplexers using only the UHF/VHF sides (leave the satellite ports unconnected). This will rule out any interference from the satellite side. Next step after that is to hook up JUST the receiver side and test.

My apologies for neglecting to reply. I did try a different pair of diplexers.

I read the specifications regarding return loss for the diplexers - 10dB. No wonder I needed an amplifier. I attached a 24dB amplifier to the TV2 outs and I can now watch TV on my patio! It is still slightly grainy, I will looks for a better amplifying solution in the future.

Thanks for all your help. Gerry, if you ever make it to AZ, cold ones on me. :D

Try changing the TV 2 modulator to a lower channel. Whenever I use diplexors I change TV 2 to 21 and 26. That almost always cures the grainy picture problem. I assume that using the lower channels puts more distance between the tv 2 and sat frequencies in the line causing less interference?

bweiteka said:
Try changing the TV 2 modulator to a lower channel. Whenever I use diplexors I change TV 2 to 21 and 26. That almost always cures the grainy picture problem. I assume that using the lower channels puts more distance between the tv 2 and sat frequencies in the line causing less interference?

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip! :cool:

bweiteka said:
...Whenever I use diplexors I change TV 2 to 21 and 26. That almost always cures the grainy picture problem...

Correct you are! I can hold off on buying another amplifier - the picture qulaity is great! Thanks again for the tip. :D

- Flappy

Yeah - thanks! I'll keep that in mind for sure - lower numbers better. ;)

I'm surprised those diplexers have a 10dB loss - sounds unusual to me.

SimpleSimon said:
...I'm surprised those diplexers have a 10dB loss - sounds unusual to me.

I am a noob so forgive me if my numbers are inaccurate. I could be confused about Return Loss.

Here are the specs for the JVI 35-SDX100 diplexers I am using:

35-SDX100: Mini Diplexer
Specifications RF 35-SDX100
Port Impedance: . . . . . . . . . . . . . .75 Ohm
Passband Frequency: . . . . . . . . . .40-2150 MHz
Insertion Loss UHF/VHF: . . . . . . .1 dB
Insertion Loss IF: . . . . . . . . . . . . .0.5 dB
Return Loss UHF/VHF: . . . . . . . .10 dB
Return Loss IF: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .15 dB
Stopband Attenuation:
950 MHz . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .32 dB
860 MHz . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .40 dB
806 MHz . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .45 dB

Anyone know of any better diplexers? I'll go out and get them! :D

- Flappy

Bye Bye BingoTV?

Significantly Viewed Availabilty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts