To Far for OTA ? Are my locals going to look better with D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1MeanGti

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Someome told me that locals look like sh*t on both D and E. Is it still going to be better than my analog cable locals. I have a new 50 .in DLP and my analog locals look like SH*T now. I would think that the SD locals from D* would be better but would like some input. I also am going HD.

THX
MeanGTI

Depends on how your affiliate send its signal to the DBS provider, because that, along with compression, MIGHT make it look the same or worse. Can't see how adding generations could make it look better, extra steps generally degrade. How far are you from your digital OTA towers?

My locals look 100% acceptable. One can't expect any SD local retransmission to look even close to a DVD quality picture.

I can't get OTA 100 miles away so I will get my locals from the dish. Thanks for your post. I have atlantic as me cable c. now. It was Charter but they were bought out.

Too Far for OTA? Are my locals going to look better with D*

1MeanGti said:
Someome told me that locals look like sh*t on both D and E. Is it still going to be better than my analog cable locals. I have a new 50 .in DLP and my analog locals look like SH*T now. I would think that the SD locals from D* would be better but would like some input. I also am going HD.

THX
MeanGTI

I have both OTA and satellite locals with D*. On my 34 widescreen Panasonic both look really good. Just remember, no matter how good (strong) the signal is, on bigger screens the dots get farther apart and you are bound to lose some detail. It's a trade off!

It's like charper1 said, it depends on how much money, effort and time the local stations put into getting their signal to the Local Receive Facility.
If they want to do it right, they do it with fiber optic from Master Control to the LRF which probably can get expensive.
If they do it like our PBS station does, they apparently do it with rabbit ears.
For example, our CBS station, which is where the LRF is located looks pretty good, as does the NBC station. CBS is no doubt done with fiber. NBC may be also. the rest have varying amounts of ghosting. PBS is really bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RCA IR Problem

modems in DTV receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts