TIVO & PHONE LINE ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

telecaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Is it at all possible to run through the setup and activate a TIVO without a phone line?

Thanks

Well, all I know is that when I tried setting one up for a customer at my house (I do them BEFORE I take it out to their house, so I can immediately show them how it works) it would NOT let me complete the setup until it at least make the initial call.

I guess I didn't explain it completely - the software (at least on the latest version) IS supposedly downloaded via the dish, but it takes a call-in to actually "load it" in the box. (this is the way I understood Dan Collins to explain it at dbsforums, & he's pretty sharp on all this stuff)

I did this one a few months ago, so it's possible this has changed. I guess you can try it w/out, & if it don't work, take it then to a phone line.

The TiVo can also download the software via the phone line. For instance, when I signed up for the 3.1.1e priority list, my TiVo didn't bother waiting for the next satellite download, and instead downloaded the whole thing (a 60 minute call!) via phone line.

You WILL get nagged by TiVo if it's not attached to a phone line, though..

Yes you must have the TIVO hooked up to a phone line. I have the HD Tivo and VOIP (Voice over IP/Internet phone) and I had to take mine over to my parents house to call in before it would load the new software.

syphix said:
You WILL get nagged by TiVo if it's not attached to a phone line, though..

Well, this is my first post here, and I'm about to move to D*, E* has been completely unhelpful with my attempts to get the 522, and I constantly drop the signal now, they want to charge me $100 to come out and service my dish, because I would like it moved more than 12feet.

They can F*** off!

Sorry 'bout the rant, anyway, I plan on getting the DirecTivo, and dont have a problem hooking it up to my phone line for the initial install, but I'd prefer to not have to keep it hooked up. How frequent/annoying is the nag "feature".

Thanks,

Paul

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Distant Networks waivers

CBS HDTV Audio Drops Via OTA antenna?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)