Tiger Woods’s days of dominance might be history

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I know many only following the 4 golfing major tournaments each year, but the TPC Sawgrass is being played this week, which is about as close to a major as you're going to get. Significantly, Tiger Woods pulled out of the tournament after shooting a 42 on the front nine holes (Thursday). Here is an interesting perspective posted in the Washington Post:

Full Story

"Is Tiger Woods finished as a golfer? No. Is he finished as Tiger Woods? Sadly, I think the answer is yes. I don’t see how Woods can ever again be as dominant as he once was, before his knee and his personal life fell apart.

When Woods pulled out of the first round of the Players Championship after shooting a 42 for nine holes, many fans expressed surprise and dismay. But perhaps the surprise, at least, is misplaced, for two reasons.

First, Woods has always liked to mess with his swing, but as his game gets worse, that obsession gets stronger. It’s hard to tell which is the chicken and which is the egg in that vicious cycle.

The other reason is more simple and impossible to control: age. Woods was simply so superb for so long, that it’s hard for many to accept that he’s 35 years old and being stalked around the course by guys 10 years younger, with healthy knees and stable private lives and without the unending scrutiny of media and fans.

At Sawgrass, he apparently injured his left knee on the first hole, which then impacted his Achilles’ tendon, which then impacted his calf. For any other golfer, that news would be worrisome. For Woods, it could be catastrophic. His left knee has long been an issue: He has undergone three arthroscopic knee surgeries over the years (1994, 2002, 2008) and after winning his 14th (and last) major, the 2008 U.S. Open, with a torn ACL and two stress fractures in his left tibia, he needed surgery yet again."

While I won't say that Tiger is finished, injuries certainly are taking their toll for now. Trust me, I would trade my knees for his. Eventually he will get healthy or, like me, learn to live with the pain. The funny thing is that he is probably in better shape than Jack ever was, due to the workout program he does.

If he doesn't take time off and heal, then he will be done. He needs to heal up before trying to play again.

I agree. He'll never be the limber, lean, dominant Tiger that he was in his early 20's. Remember back when he was slaughtering the competition by 10-20 strokes? That will never happen again. Remember when we were asking not when Tiger would trump Jack's major total, but by how much? Now, it's looking like that may never happen. I just don't see any evidence to prove otherwise. Very sad downfall indeed.

With all these injuries, I'm lead to wonder one thing: Is Tiger's added mass a hindrance to his game and the downfall of his career? Remember when he was a skinny, limber kid in his teens/twenties? He was at the top of his game. Now? He's a muscle bound behemoth. He can't find a swing that's comfortable and all the added muscle is putting stress on his joints. I wonder if he would've been better off by slimming down and never adding all that weight?

Issie Gutierrez representin' on the Sports Reporters..

College Baseball Jousting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts