Thunder storm and Satellite signal ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tom_v

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Hi experts!!

I notice that anytime right before and during a thunder storm, the FTA signal seems to get lost. (Its quality gradually goes down and disappears). I thought my receiver (Fortec LifeTime Ultra) is dead when the first time it happens. Everything is fine after the storm. Is this normal ?

My reasoning is that, the magnetic/electric field generated from the thunder might have interfered with the satellite signals ?!

Thanks

Ahem... Rain Fade

the FTA birds are the most succeptable to rain fade... what size dish are you using and your approx location.

And actually waht causes rain fade is the drops of water causes attenuation in the satellite signal so it doesnt receive accurately or it gets so scattered it isnt received at all.

Hi experts!!

I notice that anytime right before and during a thunder storm, the FTA signal seems to get lost. (Its quality gradually goes down and disappears). I thought my receiver (Fortec LifeTime Ultra) is dead when the first time it happens. Everything is fine after the storm. Is this normal ?

My reasoning is that, the magnetic/electric field generated from the thunder might have interfered with the satellite signals ?!

Thanks

Normally its not the rain that screws up signal, but the dark cloud cover. The cloud cover makes it so the signal cannot get from the satellite to the receiver. This is normal.

Another thing to remember is sometimes there is issues at the uplink. So you may have sunny skies but no picture because the uplink is having storms

Cascade said:
I have no concept of rainfade whatsoever.

Same here : )

I was washing the truck this morning so gave my 36" dish a wash down, talk about water off a ducks back!

This happens to all channels on all birds, so I believe it's not the uplink issue.
Also, I don't think it's the rainfade because I can still receive the signals under even a really heavy rain! It is only the thunderstorm that kill all the signals.

A thick dark cloud with electrical charges (coming with thunderstorm) might have something to do with it like Iceberg said.

The other two are being goobers because they have a larger dish :)

(but my 36" went out last week for a while due to heavy cloud cover/rain)

tom_v said:
Also, I don't think it's the rainfade because I can still receive the signals under even a really heavy rain! It is only the thunderstorm that kill all the signals.

A thick dark cloud with electrical charges (coming with thunderstorm) might have something to do with it like Iceberg said.

It doesn't need to be raining to experience rain fade. The tall, thick thuderhead rain clouds are loaded with moisture. (Thuderheads can extend miles up into the atmosphere.) It's the moisture that attenuates and deflects the signal. It has nothing to due with electrical charges.

Hm..hm..
I think I should plan to move to somewhere like Sou. Cali, Utah or Florida....
Do you know where in the states that never have those thunderstorm/rain :)

Don't come to Florida then. I have had rain fade almost every day for the past two weeks. I have better luck during hurricanes than I do these summer storms

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Software update (legal one) for Microyal 1000?

I admit it I'm lazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts