THROWBACK THURSDAY: When I correctly forecast that YouTube TV would be a thing

Remember when you couldn’t watch videos over the internet? Oh those days. Back then we had to watch live cats doing cute things. My how the world has changed.

It was a bit over 19 years ago…​

…that a little site called YouTube was born. It was independent for its first year or so of life, and ever since 2006 it’s been part of the Google empire. It wasn’t the first video sharing site but it certainly grew to be the biggest. By letting users have virtually unlimited space to upload virtually anything they wanted (unless there was a copyright or human rights issue) it’s turned into the world’s video library. Want to learn how to fix something? There’s probably a YouTube video for that. Want to know all about those paintings where dogs play poker? There’s a YouTube video for that. Trust me there are some really weird YouTube videos out there.

By the way, there’s also a really cool channel where millions of people have learned how to use their home theater systems, and it gets more content every week.

Yeah, but you couldn’t use it for live TV.​

Live TV channels over the internet seemed like a pipe dream for a long time. Several companies tried it but it was DISH and then DIRECTV who really cracked it. Along the way, the folks at Google must have realized that this was a burgeoning market, and so YouTube TV, a subscription service that gives you live TV, was born.

But did you know I talked about it four years before it happened?

Here’s the proof​

In an article called Regular broadcast content on YouTube? Could happen, I talked about an obscure potential rule change that the FCC was considering. At the time, DIRECTV, DISH, and cable companies were regulated one way but streaming video providers were essentially unregulated. This rule change actually allowed streaming TV to happen, and I correctly guessed that YouTube would wander into that whole thing.

Since YouTube TV launched, it’s become a very worthwhile competitor to services like DIRECTV for Internet. I personally like DIRECTV better, but I certainly understand the allure of keeping in the Google ecosystem if you have an Android phone. If you’re interested in trying DIRECTV for internet or over satellite, fill out the form below and an expert will get back to you!

The post THROWBACK THURSDAY: When I correctly forecast that YouTube TV would be a thing appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Boat owners: get to know your ACU

Easy fixes for DIRECTV receivers with problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts