thoughts on sound

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gabshere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Rison , Arkansas
ok recently ventured into FTA and some of the channels don't have sounds so i found that it was AC3 .... now i'm in my computer/satellite room it has no system for sound . my surround sound system for the living room isn't able to do ac3.

1)I can get a small 5.1 system for less than $100

2)I can add pci card to my computer to do 5.1

3) found a usb that can do 5.1 http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MOVEABLE-USB-6-channel-5-1-PCI-Sound-Card-N5IN1_W0QQitemZ320036862950QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3708QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

now i don't do alot of sound. so quality isn't that high of a priority, surround sound is neat . but other that having a very basic ( older RCA model) A/V system
So i don't know anything about AC3 or about usb sound cards, can add it to my pc but via pci card but will have to check for slot & also wonder if will have problem with on board sound ( might can disable it).
What are your thoughts ... or what did you do to add AC3
I don't have HD (tv) although have considered the usb version of FTA receiver for my next (after sound) addition.

all it needs to do is dolby digital. Its just 2 channel output. I have a el-cheapo Wal-Mart decoder that does it. :)

I use the DVB World USB receiver it not only does HD and 4:2:2 it also does AC3 audio right through the PC speakers, its also great for recording.

I've heard guys using the Sound Blaster Extigy external sound card.. Guess this can be hooked directly to your FTA receiver and then into your stereo system or used with amplified speakers..

You can get a used Extigy fairly inexpensive on that auction site..

yep... extigy is the way to go... one word of caution though, they are called Creative's Soundblaster Extigy. I think lots of ebay buyers are after things that say soundblaster, but aren't necessarily after things called extigy... so if you can find an auction with the word extigy but without the word creative or soundblaster, your odds of getting it cheaper may be a little bit higher since most folks aren't searching for "extigy" That's how I got mine a bit cheaper than I was expectin it to be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

My first FTA setup going to be here friday!!!

World's fastest blind scan receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)