This blankety blank DVR!!

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I'm about ready to throw this #*+# DVR out in the yard. The family and I sat down to watch sunday nights ACM awards on CBS, which was 3 hours long. Well after the first hour ended, so did my recording and I have no idea why. The recording in "my media" showed it to be 3 hours, and even when it ended it still showed to have 2 hours left in the recording. This is not the first time this has happened. Any idea what's causing this?? I know for a fact that no one manually stopped the recording. And even if they did, it wouldn't show the recording to be 3 hours.

Any one know if it's going to re-air any time soon??

You might try unplugging it for about 15 minutes then try again. it sounds like your dvr's hard drive is failing. if you have an external drive i would be archiving any shows you have on it right now that you want to keep.

That's what happened with my VIP622, just before my drive crashed completely. It took around 5 months from start to finish, from the first bad recording that acted like yours did, before I gave up and replaced the drive.

Palladia will sometime re-air some awards shows of all genres, including country, and like the other poster suggested, sometimes CMT. Of course, CMT and Palladia are owned by Viacom.

Are you sure you had the timer set for the ACM Award show? Or was it possibly a 1 hour timer that was set for something else for that channel that night and it just happened to record the ACMs? I have had that happen before.

Well I was wrong on two parts. I meant to say "my recordings", not "my media". And it is a 722K (I just keep forgetting the K).
The timer was definitly set for the ACM's. And as I said before. It listed the program in my recordings as 3 hours. I just thought it was odd that the recording stopped at the top of the hour exactly. Almost as if it had a scheduling conflict. But as we all know, it would not set to record the program at all if there was a conflict. And I didn't have anything set to record at 9PM anyway. Once it stopped, I hit the back 10 seconds button. And it showed 2 hours and 1 minute remaining just before it ended.

Recordings that end early are a bug that shows up on rare occasions. It is a very irritating bug and one the Dish is aware of but hasn't fixed.

Of course, it never happens on something that really sucks! It is always something you really wanted to see. :(

Recordings that end early are a bug that shows up on rare occasions. It is a very irritating bug and one the Dish is aware of but hasn't fixed.

Of course, it never happens on something that really sucks! It is always something you really wanted to see. :(

Yeah, had it happen on more than one occasion myself, or the more annoying - sat signal drops for a moment, and it stops the recording.

What about moving the item TO an external hard drive? ... maybe if its just a bad bit causing the recording to stop .. maybe moving it to an EHD will fix or drop the bad bit and you'll get just a blip on the screen or something?

Also the point of the power cycle I'm betting is to hope to force an FSCK of the drive. I wonder if this too is the cause of the non-standard file system ... ie. the "data" partition no longer appears to be in EXT3 format like the other partitions and on other DVR's. It appears the data is now in a Virtual File System ... and I wonder if its the cause of these types of glitches.... normally if it were storm/weather related you get pixelation and digital drop out, before just a cease play.

I just had a 722K replaced for this, it was a bad hard drive. Mine would constantly say there was an hour recorded, then quit after 2 minutes. I missed tons of shows until I finally threw in the towel and called Dish for a replacement.

It's happened to me several times on a 722k, very frustrating... Most recently this past weekend. It quite playback at 2 hours with a recorded length of 4 hrs.

Dishnet in BC

lnb adapter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)