Thinking about changing sat providers?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
That really is the question right now isn't it. There are alot of individuals who are not happy with their service right now including the 811 and 921 products. But is there any common sense in changing right now? Let's see --

E* has purchased Rainbow1 and the new uplink facility from Voom but has not announced any plans. Why? Common sense says that Charlie got burned trying to buy D* and the Superdish rollout when the satellite at 105 did not work out they way E* had planned basically threw mud in his face. So Charlie's plans are under lock and key untill the FCC approves of the sale and his new satellites are up.

D* is announcing plans left and right especially about HD services. They have two Spaceway sats going up this Spring and 2 to 3 months later they will be in business. D* has to do something because downrezzing HD is not going to get them new business. They have to be talking just to keep what HD customers they currently have.

VOOM sold all the hardware assets they owned. Rainbow1 and the frequencys at that location along with a brand new uplink center. However, they continue service and continue to expand offerings. If the FCC approves the sale of hard assets to E* how long will VOOM survive and how will they get their signal to their customers?

On top of all this everyone will be going to MPEG4 this fall for new HD services. Someone is going to have to pay for this - Right? I bet it will be those of us wanting more HD. All of our gripes about service and equipment will go by the wayside because we will all have to have new MPEG4 compliant receivers in order to receive new HD. So just how will that work out?

The only fact that I will present here for thought is that there is only one satellite provider who is actually making money. The other two are losing money every month. They are posting millions of dollars lost every quarter. However, E* has started posting profits. Charlie must surely be smiling.

So, the question again is should I (and others) be changing right now to another service (VOOM) included. For me the answer is simple, I am going to wait. If I am going to have to have a new HD receiver - I am not spending any more money until this whole thing shakes out. That will take about 6 months. Then everyone's cards will be on the table and I will go with the best HD and equipment offering at that time. Spending money before then is just throwing it away - or is it? VOOM installs at $1.00 for three rooms is very enticing -- but what happens if VOOM is shut down early? And Voom does not have HDNet or HDMovies which I really enjoy. Will I have to pay alot more money to go back to E*? The VOOM deal is a great offer and I had my wife talked in to it until they sold their satellite. Now the wife is not too positive. Too many Variables -- If Charlie will give us Universal HD then I will wait it out and see what happens this summer. How about you?

I'm seriously considering adding one of the Canadian services, probably Star Choice. Currently the main source of HD programming is the networks, OTA is not an option where I live. I don't live in an O&O DMA so there is little hope of receiving them in the next 2 or 3 years. Yes D* does have plans to offer HD LIL, but they have yet to prove they can do it successfully, even if they can I will be stuck with programming from one time zone. I also believe that when D* and E* do offer HD LIL it will not be close to true HD anymore. This path seems to fit my current HD wants best and if the US DBS companies do surprise me with copious amounts of true HD I can always liquidate my hardware on Ebay.

NightRyder

E* Spooling P205 to 301 Receivers

Who makes Dish Network LCDs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)