Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
majestic_annie.jpg

Word!

It should be 4:3, but if the rez is good that's ok :)

I was just the sound producer/video editor for an Elementary School's production of this musical, so it's always fun to watch

Oh, maybe the OAR is 2.35 as IMDB says it is.

I have the DVD and they only ever released a 4:3 version, yet it has DTS, bastards! :(

Here's the IMDB DVD specs
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083564/dvd

It seems to claim there is a 2.35 DVD available released in 2000

But the anniversary disc they released in 2004 that has DTS was only released in 4:3 :(

Sean Mota said:
Yes, that Anniversay disc also states "Remastered in High Definition" for what it is worth.

Indeed it does.

I also don't think it says it was formatted.

so maybe full open matte for the DVD and 16x9 for the HD Master...

Very confusing indeed.

If the OAR is indeed 2.35, then why is the new version only 4X3 but yet it says mastered in HD

Well you can check a few scenes between the DVD 4:3 and the presentation on Voom to see if it is open matte.

I didn't check the DVD, but the voom presentation was 16x9 and looked mostly to be cropped, and having the HD downrezzed didn't help any, looked very soft

BFG,

I had to take on the challenge and see for myself whether the presentation on Voom was really cropped. So I took two scenes one from the Original DVD OAR 1:33:1 and the one I recorded on my 942 from Voom and compared both versions side by side. I was quite surprised what I found. It looks like the version on VOOM was not cropped but Open Matted. Usually when a 1:33:1 movie is cropped around 20% of the picture is lost at top and bottom. It looks like the Voom Version gained more of the picture rather than losing which means Open Matte.

Scene 1.

annie1.jpg

Scene 2.

annie2.jpg

According to MDB there is a 2:35:1 version but I do not know if that it's true but if there is one it will be very nice to compare as well.

Good job on the comparisons.

That was a very interesting way the matted the 1.33 did you see that?

Usually they'll matte the top and bottom but for this one the matted the sides of the pic. Exactly how a lot of HD is done today, preserving the same top and bottom

Yes, which surprised me. I really like to see the 2:35:1 version but I do not know if there is a version available on DVD.

KungFu HD (104): Iron Monkey 8:30pm ET

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)