SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I keep seeing those DirectTV ads saying they are
going to add 1500 HD channels this year. Does Dish have
any response or they just going to keep talkin'
the talk and not walkin' the walk?

birkoff

You know, it never ceases to amaze me how Dish is still in business. Reading messages about Dish you'd think they would have folded up and blown away by now. From Oliver Tse's "tick-tock" message to the "pro sports drought" and NFL Exclusivity on DirecTV to the CSTV, CSN and YES and the Viacom fight to the HDTV "crisis" somehow Dish ended up getting more than 11 million subscribers and still growing at a good clip.

WHEN DirecTV actually adds the channels they say they are going to add, then there may be something to talk about.

See ya
Tony

birkoff said:
I keep seeing those DirectTV ads saying they are
going to add 1500 HD channels this year. Does Dish have
any response or they just going to keep talkin'
the talk and not walkin' the walk?

birkoff

dish has been doing NO talkin.

When E* talks all you hear is bitchin and moaning when they dont talk people bitch and moan..

TNGTony said:
You know, it never ceases to amaze me how Dish is still in business. Reading messages about Dish you'd think they would have folded up and blown away by now. From Oliver Tse's "tick-tock" message to the "pro sports drought" and NFL Exclusivity on DirecTV to the CSTV, CSN and YES and the Viacom fight to the HDTV "crisis" somehow Dish ended up getting more than 11 million subscribers and still growing at a good clip.

WHEN DirecTV actually adds the channels they say they are going to add, then there may be something to talk about.

See ya
Tony

spaceway one is AT sea launch, it is going up.
spaceway two is almost complete and is going up.

lets see ergen just bought a used bird at a fire sale.
because his is almost dead, wow!
he is getting sued for literally sawing open a tivo and producing a second rate knock off.
is being investigated for doctoring the books and the sub counts, by the SEC.
is there a course at the harvard business school on how not to run a company? if there is ,he could teach it.

ever heard of "THE COAT TAIL EFFECT"?

just my opinion.

IMHO, it's just the HD folks that are pi**ed at E*. Folks that don't give a damn about HD are happy with E* and for the folks that want international channels E* is really the only game in town.

From what I understand of the advertisement you mentioned is that they are taking steps to add the 1500 HD channels. They are not actually going to have 1500 at the end of the year. It's still a hell of a leap forward compaired to Dish though. At least Direct is working on it.

I'm relatively pleased with E*. I'd like more HD, but I'm willing to wait until D* makes significant progress in that area before I decide to switch. What I'd really like is a stable DVR box that's mpeg4 ready. I won't buy a 942 unless/until it can do mpeg4...why waste the money on something that's going to supposedly be obsolete in 8 months or less?

rad said:
IMHO, it's just the HD folks that are pi**ed at E*. Folks that don't give a damn about HD are happy with E* and for the folks that want international channels E* is really the only game in town.

The HD folks should thank Ergen for giving them 1920x1080i at a high bitrate and not downrezzed, bitstarved hdlite as D* does. Dish needs to add HD channels but they are upholding the quality end of the deal. Directv is not and it remains to be seen if they ever will again. IMO I dont think they will,HD PQ is not in Ruperts past with FOX widescreen EDTV or the new FOXHD 16 mbps max feed or from his downrezzing actions after he took over Directv.

I've been happy with Dish although my bill is wrong and I really need to call them to rectify it.

I am totally unhappy with the HD DVR deal though...thankfully I'm on a open ended contract and can cancel at anytime.

DTV made me a decent deal offering me a free HD unit and a free Tivo to sign back up but they could not guarentee that the HD unit I got was DVI.

Its tough to beat the price...we have a 811, a single tuner DVR, and the basic 60 package for like 45 a month.

I recently went upto the 120 package for the F1 season and added Showtime for the L Word and should have gone upto 65 a month but for some reason am at 75, should have 2 more months left on the free HD Package.

If DTV announced a deal including a HD Tivo I'd be gone in a heartbeat assuming they up their bitrates on the HD content.

I think the 1500 channels are a total waste, its all so people can get local HD's over the sat when there is no way that DTV is going to allocate the bandwidth you could get with an OTA antenna.

Its a marketing gimick and an exspensive one, I'll still use my antenna :)

dragon002 said:
spaceway one is AT sea launch, it is going up.
spaceway two is almost complete and is going up.

lets see ergen just bought a used bird at a fire sale.
because his is almost dead, wow!
he is getting sued for literally sawing open a tivo and producing a second rate knock off.
is being investigated for doctoring the books and the sub counts, by the SEC.
is there a course at the harvard business school on how not to run a company? if there is ,he could teach it.

ever heard of "THE COAT TAIL EFFECT"?

just my opinion.

As I said, looking at posts like this I'm surprised Dish is still in business. Anyone who was following posts on the interenet (usenet) back 8 years ago is familiar with Oliver Tse and his messages that looked just like the one above with messages of gloom and doom and how Dish was on its way out of business. Just a matter of time... "Tick-Tock". Amazing that Dish is the only temaining original DBS company (save Dominion) that has not sold out or been bought out. It is also the only DBS company that is actually starting to turn a profit! I wish I could run a business so poorly.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
As I said, looking at posts like this I'm surprised Dish is still in business. Anyone who was following posts on the interenet (usenet) back 8 years ago is familiar with Oliver Tse and his messages that looked just like the one above with messages of gloom and doom and how Dish was on its way out of business. Just a matter of time... "Tick-Tock". Amazing that Dish is the only temaining original DBS company (save Dominion) that has not sold out or been bought out. It is also the only DBS company that is actually starting to turn a profit! I wish I could run a business so poorly.

See ya
Tony

you did not answer a single point in my post, just did the old ergen is a maverick and our hero stuff. if you are happy with second hand junk fine. as far as profitability goes, that is why the SEC and justice is looking at echostar. HE COOKED THE BOOKS AND SUB COUNTS, read the news, he isn't great, hes a buffoon

juan said:
When E* talks all you hear is bitchin and moaning when they dont talk people bitch and moan..
That's because when they talk, they don't do what they said.

When they don't talk, they don't do anything at all.

I think the 1500 channels are a total waste, its all so people can get local HD's over the sat when there is no way that DTV is going to allocate the bandwidth you could get with an OTA antenna.

OTA HDTV is not available to alot of folks out there. A good portion of people have terrain and distance issues. It's only a gimmick if damn near everyone could pop up an antenna and get the channels. Fact is though, not everyone can. Thus the reason for HD cable and sat dish. If you want to make money you have to spend it. Buying used crap at a garage sale in the case of Dish isn't going to cut it.

Dish Network gets their sales because of their retailer base. Their retailers get paid better than DirecTv's retailers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Later Dish. Help with Direct

i'm in csr hell!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts