SWM question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blackloz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Minot,ND
I got a very frantic call from my 95 year old grandmother today. She lives in Minot ND and has been a DirecTV customer since 07. She originally had a H20 that got replaced with a H24 back in early 2011, and now it appears that the H24 is on its way out as it will reboot at random more & more, so I told her to go to the dealer she got the system from and get a H25 & SWM LNB, she does this last week and today her know it all neighbour comes over and they got to talking and she was told that because her system is the older SL5 she would have to get a SL5 SWM and not a SL3 SWM like she got and that she will lose channels including her HD locals. Now my grandma is all excited because DirecTV just launched her Fox channel KNDX or something like that for the first time and she doesn't want to lose it, I told her if anything she might lose some spanish channels which she doesn't watch anyway. Am I right or is her neighbour right?

I got a very frantic call from my 95 year old grandmother today. She lives in Minot ND and has been a DirecTV customer since 07. She originally had a H20 that got replaced with a H24 back in early 2011, and now it appears that the H24 is on its way out as it will reboot at random more & more, so I told her to go to the dealer she got the system from and get a H25 & SWM LNB, she does this last week and today her know it all neighbour comes over and they got to talking and she was told that because her system is the older SL5 she would have to get a SL5 SWM and not a SL3 SWM like she got and that she will lose channels including her HD locals. Now my grandma is all excited because DirecTV just launched her Fox channel KNDX or something like that for the first time and she doesn't want to lose it, I told her if anything she might lose some spanish channels which she doesn't watch anyway. Am I right or is her neighbour right?

Only things she would lose would be things that are on the 99 Sat, which isn't much.
Music, some locals.
Does D* supply her locals ? What DMA is that in, Minot ?

I believe her locals come from Minot-Bismark-Dickinson, all are HD except the CW which is from DC channel 64

I was trying to find out if her locals are on the 119 Sat, that would be SD if it is as all HD is on the 99 or 103 Sats, however I am having a hard time for some reason finding her locals in the listing, maybe one of the others can find them ... outside of SD locals for her IF they are on the 119, shes not missing much not having the 119 Sat available.

Theres some music, SD locals and some other stuff, but not much on the 119.

Looks like D* does have her locals IN HD, so technically she could get by with just the SWM3 set up, but she wouldn't get any SD localsIF they are on the 119 Sat.

Who is doing this change over for her ?

I* was just looking at the original post again.
If your doing the change of recvr, just do it and put the SWM3 in, make sure you repeat the Sat Set Up as you'll need to make sure it sees the new set up, but it should default to the new SWM.

She would lose anything that was on the 119 Sat this way, however, if her locals are not on the 119 she'll be fine ... fwiw, her HD are NOT on the 119 Sat so she won't lose them regardless. Provided she's using HD.

Is KNDX a Local ?

KNDX is listed in D*'s database as channel 26, so she'll also get that fine with the new set up.

Thanks for the info Jimbo. No I'm not the one doing the change over for her. It's going to be the selling dealer sometime around the first week in June. It's funny because she was so worried about losing the locals she said that if she can't watch her young & restless there was going to be trouble, and since Fox was just added sometime in the recent future as it wasn't on the last time we where up that way I told her not too worry. I'm kinda wondering about the CW as it's the only SD local. As far as I know she doesn't watch it.

With one exception, there are NO SD locals in the Minot DMA, it's an MPEG-4 market with all the stations on the 99 satellite. The exception is the CW channel, which is remapped from another DMA, and is on 101. So unless she needs the religious, ethnic and music channels on 119, using an SL3 will be fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anyone get 2014 Sunday ticket for free?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)