Stay or Switch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AvidAngler

Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Hi all - am new to the site and could use some advice. I've been a "loyal" subscriber to DN for the past 3.5 years but am considering switching over to DTV.

I called and spoke with a CSR at DTV and was told that their comparable channel package with a free DVR and two standard receivers would cost me $61 per month with the 1st three months at $50/month after a $36 credit. They also stated that I would get HBO, Starz, and Showtime free for three months and that installation of all equipment would be at no cost to me. I realize DTV's rate will be going up March 1st but it would still be less than what I'm paying now by $5-$6/mth. Oh yeah, if I sign up by Feb. 28th I'll get a free DVD player of unknown brand or quality.

The main reason I'm thinking of changing providers is that my rate for 180 channels plus locals, a 508 DVR and two standard receivers has just climbed to $71.16 a month with DN's latest increase, plus I've had to have the 508 DVR replaced four times in three years. When I spoke to a DN CSR about the difference in cost between DN and DTV, they said there was nothing they could do to offer me a better rate, so much for being a loyal customer.

So, is DTV any better in terms of equipment quality, level of customer service, or at rewarding customer loyalty? Should I stay or should I go now? If I go will there be trouble, if I stay will it be double? ;) :music

DirecTV has historically had much more reliable/faster receivers. They have also treated their loyal customers better, the caveat being Direc has hired an ex E* wig to be 3rd in command and are starting to become more E* like.

But at the current time, it is a more customer friendly service.

Eric Goempel said:
D* has it all over E* for quality of picture in my view. doing A-B comparisons.

Most people that have both services, disagree with you on this. The vast majority of channels look much better on E*.

Make sure to call the local cable company too (if there is one where you live) and see what deal they're offering.

The current deal that DIRECTV has expires on Feb. 28.I made a new sub deal with them recently,I ended up getting two H20 receivers (to own not lease) and the AT9 dish installed free of any charges.I am subbing to the basic Total Choice with locals and the HD Packs for starters.I will get HBO,Showtime and Starz free for the first 3 months.I am also getting the HD Pack free for the first 3 months.The Total Choice Pack is $29.99 for the first 3 months,then everything rolls over to regular prices.I had to agree to the two year Total Choice package to seal the deal,overall IMO,seems like a very good deal.My install is scheduled for this Fri. March 3.They are going to a lease only option for new subs effective March 1,from the way I understand it.I am a former 6+ year DN sub.There were a few factors in my decision to leave DN,the main issue being with the audit department.I have no kind words to say for those people and I will leave it at that.

Well, I never been a subsciber to Dish, but I'm a long-time customer of DirecTV and I've never been happier. I don't know about other folks, but my next door neighbor has Dish and the quality of his picture can't even compare to mine. In fact he's going to switch as soon as his contract is up. As for customer service, when I first subscribed, I have to admit that was a little hard to get through, but in the last few years I've never had to wait long.

As somebody pointed out, its obvious that you want to switch so just go ahead and do it. You won't be sorry. As for returning to cable, speaking for myself, I'd never go back. Good luck.

markfp-1 said:
Well, I never been a subsciber to Dish, but I'm a long-time customer of DirecTV and I've never been happier. I don't know about other folks, but my next door neighbor has Dish and the quality of his picture can't even compare to mine. In fact he's going to switch as soon as his contract is up. As for customer service, when I first subscribed, I have to admit that was a little hard to get through, but in the last few years I've never had to wait long.

As somebody pointed out, its obvious that you want to switch so just go ahead and do it. You won't be sorry. As for returning to cable, speaking for myself, I'd never go back. Good luck.

Your right,from the friends that had E* and have come to my house for parties and such,that have seen D* on at that time, no one is still and E* sub all have switched to D*.This is at least 6 people,and some of thier friends have also switched to D*because of PQ, but interesting enough alot of tem said it was also because E*s overall service just sucked

Having both services picture quality is subjective, customer service goes to Directv hands down. Equipment reliability went to Directv until introduction of H20 and R15 both have been a let down on Directv's reputation of working correctly out of the box. I would still give a plus to Directv over DISH.

Didnt you guys read the above post. People like the picture of E* over D* .. you all are putting a hole in that theory!

Plus out of the 9 D* boxes I have, well ZERO have had any problem at all. My H20 functions head and shoulders above the H10!

One (maybe) last question

When I cancel my service, what do I do with the DN dishes, receivers, and DVR?

If you own them, sell them on ebay. But they may try pulling one on you and say they are leases. They usually leave the dish and switches on the house and make you return the boxes, you have to call and find out. If you want to be a customer, go D*. Want to be guilty until proven innocent, go E*.

do a dump run! :D sorry couldn't resist. Now, seriously. ;) if you become a supporter here you can try to sell them over here in the classified forum. Well, I'd recommend being a supporter here anyway as Scott and other folks here have really done a LOT of work to make this the BEST satellite site ever! :hatsoff: I've learned and actually saved a lot of money and got good deals from both D* and E* from just reading info on the foruns here!

AvidAngler said:
When I cancel my service, what do I do with the DN dishes, receivers, and DVR?

My whole family had D* trouble-free for years, but all just switched to E* for some reason. My sister, my brother, and my parents all switched, and all of them are already sick of it. Bad installers, bad CSRs, bad hardware, you name it. As soon as their contracts end, they're all going back.

#@%*!& fine print

Looks like I'm screwed as the DTV offer requires a 2 year contract commitment and I can't do that with the way things are in my life right now. As to cable, the mobile park I live in isn't connected to city cable so that's not an option either.

I did call DN back and talked to a "real" customer care rep but the most they were willing to do was give me 3 months of HBO, Starz, and Showtime free and reduce my rate by $12/mth for 3 months but wanted a 2 year commitment to do that.

Guess I'll just have to choke down their rate increase - at least they still replace my DVR for free every time it fails :(.

Why is a 2 year out of the question? If and when you move D* will set you up at your new place FREE! And there is next to nowhere in the country you cant set up D*.

It's a 2 year commitment but if it's done by tueaday you can send the eq back to get out of the commitment. Come Wednesday you will be incarcerated for 2 years.

projectorsrule said:
It's a 2 year commitment but if it's done by tueaday you can send the eq back to get out of the commitment. Come Wednesday you will be incarcerated for 2 years.

Really? Do you get stuck with a cancellation charge, etc? More details, please.

You own the equipment if done by Feb 28th, as of MArch 1st it's a lease. You cannot get out of the lease without returning the receivers AND paying the cancellation fee. If you own the receivers you can cancel and send the receivers back in lieu of the cancellation fee.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Helped needed in the Windsor CT Area!!!

Lehigh Valley DTV subs... PBS 39 is back?!?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)