StarChoice in WI

ijourneaux

Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
I am trying to set up a Starhoice reciever in WI. I purchased a reciever while up visiting my parents but could not purchase a dish and LNB. There dis not seem to be any available. Being a noob, the sales rep indicatred I could use my BEV dish (That is what I get for not doing my homework correctly before diving into this prject).

Anyway, if I want to set my system up, I need to locate a dish and LNB that is compatible with Starchoice. Where would be a good source for such a dish?

My understanding is that StarChoice is compatible with the old PrimeStar system. If so can I use one of those dishes with my star choice reciver. What kind of compromises would I have to deal with if I go that route?

Take Care all.

I am trying to set up a Starhoice reciever in WI. I purchased a reciever while up visiting my parents but could not purchase a dish and LNB. There dis not seem to be any available. Being a noob, the sales rep indicatred I could use my BEV dish (That is what I get for not doing my homework correctly before diving into this prject).

Anyway, if I want to set my system up, I need to locate a dish and LNB that is compatible with Starchoice. Where would be a good source for such a dish?

My understanding is that StarChoice is compatible with the old PrimeStar system. If so can I use one of those dishes with my star choice reciver. What kind of compromises would I have to deal with if I go that route?

Take Care all.

Mike Kohl is a dealer located in Wisconsin who is also a member here and will be able to help you out:
http://www.global-cm.net/

If you bought an HD receiver (DSR 5XX), you will need an elliptical dish or 2 single LNB dishes connected with a multiswitch

I am trying to set up a Starhoice reciever in WI. I purchased a reciever while up visiting my parents but could not purchase a dish and LNB. There dis not seem to be any available.
thats not the reason. Install is free in Canada so they sell you the reciever and the installer brings the dish

Being a noob, the sales rep indicatred I could use my BEV dish (That is what I get for not doing my homework correctly before diving into this prject).
that wont work but you probably figured that out now :)

just out of curiousity, where in Wisconsin are you?

Take Care all.
A primestar dish will work fine. But as noted above, if you have the 505 receiver, you need to see both satellites. If you dont have HD and dont need Frenmch programming, a Primestar dish will work fine. Almost all the English channels are on AnikF1 (the main satellite). I have a F1 only setup (I replaced my oblong dish that gets both satellites) and it works just fine.

Thanks for the detailed response. I am in Stevens Point. Since it is for our curling club, I just picked up the low end reciever (205?).

We only need the english channels and the US netwrok feeds so if cost effective, perhaps I could just install an older Primestar dish.

If it isn't worth the effort, I will try to get my hands on an actaul eliptical dish

Take Care

lj

A 205 will work just fine with a Primestar dish or any 30" dish & KU LNB. Like I say, I have a 205 with a dish aimed at AnikF1 with no issues.

Mike Kohl is a couple hours down the road from you in Plain and he sells satellite stuff if you cant find a primestar dish.
http://www.global-cm.net/

but Shipping may be the killer. Heck I have a 75e dish here but to ship it would be pretty expensive since its bulky

If the OP can get a dish nearby for cheaper that might be the best

I know, but when you want something, you go for it. In my case I weighed out who would be cheaper at that time and EBay had the cheapest by $30 or $40 and that's with shipping out of Canada.

is it just me or my tv

Uplink Activity Report - 12/27/2006 - 4 changes (w/ PDFs)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)