Spotted my first FTA'r - finally!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Das Hammer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Too close to Ohio
I'm probably like most of us here. When driving around I'm always looking for people's dish setups. Always scanning the south side of the houses looking to see if anyone has an FTA setup besides me. Around here it's primarily super dishes and dual Directv setups because people are too lazy to put up an antenna and get their local channels. But, as Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid". It's a real pet peeve of mine, but I'll save that for another day.

Anyway, after about 18 months in this hobby, I finally spotted someone using a Ku sized dish. This is the first time that I've ever seen one setup for non-commercial use! (Yes, they do let me out of the office once in a while). I saw it setup at an RV park in Pigeon Forge, TN while I was on vacation. I was so excited that I wanted to pull in and see if anyone was around, but I had a cranky wife and an even crankier set of in-laws in the van so it was a no-go. They also had a Dish Notwork500 setup there. I could only guess that the larger dish was pointed at IA5 since it was further east of the dish500 setup.

The quest still continues to find someone, somewhere around here in NE INdiana that is into this hobby as well. But, I always have you guys. I've been pretty happy here. :)

at least 2 FTA setups near me, one is on a motor and the other setup 2 blocks away was right on the ground fixed on (my guess) IA-5, coaxial was running from house along sidewalk to garage and LOS was just clearing fenceline, I happen to notice it because I keep my eyes open and at 1st I thought oooohh an abandoned dish, not the case.

Just Remembered
Several globecast systems, and 1 more FTA on Ia-5 looked like 80cm fortec about 1 block from me, never see anyone at the moment to strike up a conversation.

Das Hammer I occasionaly go to NE Indiana, I worked for a short time in Gary many years ago.

Gary is NW. I'm on the other side of the state about 1/2 mile from Ohio.

Good job on the spotting! Maybe you can score a nice one sometime. I'm always on the lookout for Primestar dishes. Most here have been fitted with circular LNBFs for directv, so I know people are still using them. As soon as a super dish shows up on the same property go and ask for the Primestar. Got two that way. It should work for you too if you need more.

NW... Gary ................... don't know what I was thinking, then probably the furthest east I've gone is right into Michigan, I think Sawyer where the Mi. Dunes state park is.

I have found at least a half dozen or so in the past couple of months. Spotted 2 new globecast dishes atop a Bosnian Bar and resturant.

I have not seen FTA dishesany in my neck of the woods yet other then a couple of BUDs in disrepair.Appears alot of people are watching starchoice.

Dave

The only reason I have Dish Network locals is so that I can use the DVR to record network programming. Otherwise, I would have just an OTA setup :)

Das Hammer said:
I'm probably like most of us here. When driving around I'm always looking for people's dish setups. Always scanning the south side of the houses looking to see if anyone has an FTA setup besides me. Around here it's primarily super dishes and dual Directv setups because people are too lazy to put up an antenna and get their local channels. But, as Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid". It's a real pet peeve of mine, but I'll save that for another day.

Anyway, after about 18 months in this hobby, I finally spotted someone using a Ku sized dish. This is the first time that I've ever seen one setup for non-commercial use! (Yes, they do let me out of the office once in a while). I saw it setup at an RV park in Pigeon Forge, TN while I was on vacation. I was so excited that I wanted to pull in and see if anyone was around, but I had a cranky wife and an even crankier set of in-laws in the van so it was a no-go. They also had a Dish Notwork500 setup there. I could only guess that the larger dish was pointed at IA5 since it was further east of the dish500 setup.

The quest still continues to find someone, somewhere around here in NE INdiana that is into this hobby as well. But, I always have you guys. I've been pretty happy here. :)

Dang... I live in the Detroit metro area and there are countless FTA setups on roof tops around here! ( large arab population in detroit/dearborn )...

In fact... i bought my FTA hardware from some arab guys in Dearborn. one of which, was very helpful in getting me setup with the right Ku band hardware.

welcome :wave to the forum :)

There is a few people about a mile away from me that have Globecast (I can see the logo from the road) :)

Iceburg:

Thanks for the welcome to the forum! I'm still a newbie at FTA, but have been
into ham radio for 27 yrs and mess with vhf/uhf/wifi hardware alot, so I was able to get my system up and running from the get go.
Hardware:
Pansat 2700a
30" wineguard dish
dish rotator - controlled via the pansat

I'm poking around for an in depth how-to manual about Ku / C band FTA.
Any suggestions?

thankx agn !

I dont own a FTA setup right now myself (because i am in an apt and dont wanna really piss on anyone) but I see FTA setups all over columbus, there a few not far from here, I figure most are for the foreign channels by the direction the dishes are pointing.

Matt, I believe you see all of those FTA setups around town could be a direct result of Sadoun being right down the road from you. Word of mouth and a great local dealer would cause the budding of the mini tv flowers everywhere!

bidaw said:
Matt, I believe you see all of those FTA setups around town could be a direct result of Sadoun being right down the road from you. Word of mouth and a great local dealer would cause the budding of the mini tv flowers everywhere!

I have no doubt on that possibility plus with the direction their pointing I suspect most are pulling the foreign channels that are FTA!

I know I am tempted to get a FTA setup for the Christian FTA channels ! (just dont wanna tick off the landlord) I already have a hidden skyangel dish for 61.5 for my lifetime skyangel sub)

Matt

Last edited:
iafirebuff said:
The only reason I have Dish Network locals is so that I can use the DVR to record network programming. Otherwise, I would have just an OTA setup :)

Hmmm. Cant you record onto your dvr via an OTA antenna? Maybe Tivo is different because I have my OTA signal coming right into a diplexer then into my Tivo. Works beautifully for locals. All the funtionality of regular Directv programming. :up

iafirebuff said:
Nope, the Dish 510 only records your locals via the Dish Network's signal. It does not record OTA. Not sure about other models.
OIC. I also had the 510 when I had Dishnetwork. I believe that was an entry level DVR, so I would have to assume they have a higher end model to compete with Tivo. But with Dish... dont bet the house on it.:rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

C-Band Receiver and FTA

Labor Day Weekend - Any FTA projects?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)