Software RAID as good or better as hardware RAID?

I still don't like software raid. As the horse in ren and stimpy used to say "no sir, I don't like it"

Last edited:
I saw a review on the DroboFS the other day on Revision3.com. I've been eyeing this box for quite a while. I think I'm going to finally pull the trigger. It is kinda pricey but the ease of use and configuration just sounds awesome. I thought about going the PC route too, but this box is just so little and doesn't eat up much electricity like a full PC would.

I'll just have to pick me up a gigabit switch and upgrade a few things in the house. But with some of my data being priceless this will be a good investment.

I felt something similar with onboard graphics for a while.
But Intel's Clarkdale does actually everything I need ( I don't do gaming). BD playback and bitstreaming included.

Since RAID is more a corporate thing, it might take longer to get used. But it will get there, I think.
Just like running over a dozen servers on a 4x6=24 core box would be considered suicide just a year or so ago...

Diogen.

So the RAID stack dies when your OS dies? What is that going to mean for recovery? It would seem some unfortunate timing could do more corruption than a HW RAID on an UPS.

IE 9 Beta

Build me a PC good enough for the next 3yrs for under $600

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)