Slingbox Pro - 1st Impression

mike1973

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
Rochester, NY
Well, some of you know that I was lucky (and very excited!!) to win a Slingbox Pro on the last Tech Chat. Got it yesterday and have spent some time messing with it. 1st snag had nothing to do with Slingbox, but my home network. I have been using a Linksys wireless G gaming adapter with my Xbox and it had some issues. I was unable to get the Slingbox on the network with it. I had to either get a new gaming adapter(or some kind of bridge) or the Sling Link. I decide to try the Sling Link after doing some research. Ethernet over home wiring, sounded interesting. Off to Best Buy (still had a gift card!) and picked one up. Seems to work great! One interesting thing with this and any powerline ethernet is that they say don't plug it into a surge strip, I guess I can see why. Plug it right into the wall.
Once I had a working link, the setup was a breeze. Wizard walks you through everything and does some tweaking, configures your router for you but you can do it yourself, I wanted to see how it did so I let the wizard do it (not that I could see it did anything, no extra opened ports or anything).
The player is neat, great quality on my local network, have yet to try it from another location yet. Shows an exact copy of your remote and the IR blaster seems to work very well.
So far I love it, I can't wait to try it when I'm working late some night. I plan to get the HD kit for it at some point, but right now its very watchable with just the s-video.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Mike

Poor PQ on Digital channels 30 and under - Any Ideas?

Is The Remote For SA-8300 Addressable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)