Slimline Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IndyTech

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
I'm not sure if it's common knowledge, or if theres a huge misconception in regards to the slimline dish. My HSP is about to start using a new Ka/Ku dish. but it's not the slimline, i guess the Slim is gonna be a 3rd Gen Ka/Ku. The 2nd Gen dish is the same as the first gen, except theres no Dither adj. and the elev knob has been moved lower on the bracket. Anyone using this dish yet?

I have read a few other posts mentioning that dish. As fas as the SlimLine, I think what most people mean by "generation" is when a major desgin change is implemented; like software. So it would be like:

AT9 v1.00 (original)
AT9 v1.01 (same basic dish/different maker)
AT9 v1.02 (same basic dish/different maker)

AT9 v1.5 (same general design as above/ ifferent, new dither adj)
AT9 v1.51 (same basic as above/different maker)
AT9 v1.52 (same basic as above/different maker)

AT9 v2.0 (SlimLine/total redesign) maybe no longer called AT9?
AT9 v2.01 (same basic as above/different maker)
AT9 v2.02 (same basic as above/different maker)

Just examples.

AT9 is a WNC only part # and other companies that make Ka/Ku 5 LNB dishes have their own model designation. Otherwise nice compilation of “Ka/Ku generations”. I saw some info on the new mount and it looks like it has the same turn counting adjustment for both azimuth and elevation now. No side to side level comparison. I hope we get some to play with soon to see how they work.
Rick

charper1 said:
I have read a few other posts mentioning that dish. As fas as the SlimLine, I think what most people mean by "generation" is when a major desgin change is implemented; like software. So it would be like:

AT9 v1.00 (original)
AT9 v1.01 (same basic dish/different maker)
AT9 v1.02 (same basic dish/different maker)

AT9 v1.5 (same general design as above/ ifferent, new dither adj)
AT9 v1.51 (same basic as above/different maker)
AT9 v1.52 (same basic as above/different maker)

AT9 v2.0 (SlimLine/total redesign) maybe no longer called AT9?
AT9 v2.01 (same basic as above/different maker)
AT9 v2.02 (same basic as above/different maker)

Just examples.

The reason for this second generation dish is most likely a financial one. The dithering (azimuth fine-tune knob) on the first generation ka/ku was implemented because Directv wasn't sure how the 99 sat would come into play with the 5 lnb configuration. Now that it is live and they see there is no problem...bye bye dithering and hello cheaper dish design.

D* is still pushing the need for extreme accuracy in aligning the Ka/Ku dish and the problem will be future Ka satellites parked next door to 99 and 103. No one can see that there is or is not a problem until the neighbors light up in the sky. All the suckers and cheaters who didn’t peak the dish right may have a rude awakening one day soon when their HD reception suddenly has problems. I’ll bet the new mount is just another way to achieve the accuracy using knobs for adjustment.
Rick
Dknow said:
The reason for this second generation dish is most likely a financial one. The dithering (azimuth fine-tune knob) on the first generation ka/ku was implemented because Directv wasn't sure how the 99 sat would come into play with the 5 lnb configuration. Now that it is live and they see there is no problem...bye bye dithering and hello cheaper dish design.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv RSN's HD News Dates Info

D* updates Hartford hd lookup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)