Should I be getting DFW or Tyler for LiL's

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I live in Athens, TX (ZIP 75752). I'm roughly 40 miles from Tyler and 70 miles from DFW.

For about 8 years, I've been receiving SD LiL's from DFW. Now, my HD LiL's are also from DFW.

I have OTA that picks up KLTV (ABC) out of Tyler. It's unreliable basically because I have a big antenna pointed at Dallas for OTA and a smaller one pointed at Tyler, both of which are atop a 50' tower.

I like KLTV only for the local weather. Otherwise, I prefer DFW for everything else including news.

Dish has done a great job on the HD LiL's out of DFW to the point that it's hard to discern from OTA. In fact the only reason I don't point the big antenna away from DFW to Tyler is because of the sub-channels from DFW.

My concern is this: when I look at the Dish Channel Chart, I see that channels 8880-8886 are Tyler LiL's (not HD). These channels do not show up on my guide. Although they'd be nice to have, I wouldn't want to trade 'em for my DFW's---even it they were HD.

What's to keep Dish from forcing me to take Tyler instead of DFW, seeing as how I'm closer to Tyler?

I should have done this before I posted, but I just found a DMA map that shows I'm in the Dallas DMA. Is DMA the only factor on which Dish bases availability? I suppose there'll be no chance of me getting Tyler through Dish as I assume that would be a Distant Network--HA!

The DMA is the Federal determination for whose signal DISH can sell you, Tyler may eventually become available as significantly viewed but don't hold your breath.

boba said:
The DMA is the Federal determination for whose signal DISH can sell you, Tyler may eventually become available as significantly viewed but don't hold your breath.

All things considered, this is actually good news as I would hate to lose my DFW "locals" just for local weather.

Although, when I can get a signal, KLTV (ABC channel 7 out of Tyler) often gives a marginally better HD image (and sound) than WFAA (ABC out of DFW) OTA or Dish-provided.

Dish 811 HDTV receiver

Judge Stops Countersuit against TiVo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts