Series recording confusion....what am I doing wrong?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK need some help guys with series recording. I started doing this a couple months ago (use to set each one up manually...ie: find the show, see all upcoming and record them that way....never had a DVR before that could do it the "good" way)

Anyway I am trying to figure out why if there is a known conflict it doesnt record properly. Here is what I'm working with

got 3 shows all on at 9:00 that I want to record. They're all on cable so they do the "new show at 9 Central and replayed that night at 1 AM" thing. 2 of the shows have been in the series recording for a few weeks now (#2 & 3 in the list... #1 is a show at 8:00). So I go into the guide and find the 3rd show. Its new on Monday (air date 1/31/11). Tell it to record series and it gives me the error that 2 other programs are higher priority. I hit "record when possible" and it says OK. So it should record both episodes (1/31 & 2/7) at 1:00 AM (it says air date 1/31 as example). Look in the recordings list and I see at 9:00 a red "X" under that program and it says "wont record" but nothing for 1:00. The episode on 2/7 shows to record at 1:00AM.

So I removed the series and tried it under the 1:00 recording. It shows both episodes will record at 1:00 but after I save it then the recorder drops the one coming up Monday and puts the red "X" at 9:00 again. It didnt give me the "conflict" message.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I've done this enough times (set up series recordings) and havent had this issue before. Do I need to set this 3rd one up manually every week?

OK need some help guys with series recording. I started doing this a couple months ago (use to set each one up manually...ie: find the show, see all upcoming and record them that way....never had a DVR before that could do it the "good" way)

Anyway I am trying to figure out why if there is a known conflict it doesnt record properly. Here is what I'm working with

got 3 shows all on at 9:00 that I want to record. They're all on cable so they do the "new show at 9 Central and replayed that night at 1 AM" thing. 2 of the shows have been in the series recording for a few weeks now (#2 & 3 in the list... #1 is a show at 8:00). So I go into the guide and find the 3rd show. Its new on Monday (air date 1/31/11). Tell it to record series and it gives me the error that 2 other programs are higher priority. I hit "record when possible" and it says OK. So it should record both episodes (1/31 & 2/7) at 1:00 AM (it says air date 1/31 as example). Look in the recordings list and I see at 9:00 a red "X" under that program and it says "wont record" but nothing for 1:00. The episode on 2/7 shows to record at 1:00AM.

So I removed the series and tried it under the 1:00 recording. It shows both episodes will record at 1:00 but after I save it then the recorder drops the one coming up Monday and puts the red "X" at 9:00 again. It didnt give me the "conflict" message.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I've done this enough times (set up series recordings) and havent had this issue before. Do I need to set this 3rd one up manually every week?

I'm curious, you have one show recording from 8-9 and the other two from 9-10, right ?
Check and see if by chance the 8-9 show actually is scheduled from 8-9:01, or something like that,as that will throw the conflict in there and shows will do this from time to time.

no. Maybe I shouldnt have put the 8:00 note in there...but its a 1/2 hour show from 8-8:30. It doesnt conflict with anything

I have 2 shows right now set up to record from 9 to 9:30
The new one I want to add runs from 9-10

So in essence I have 3 shows at 9:00

But I think I figured it out. I found the 1st episode of the show that is coming up (its a rerun on Saturday..the episode that was on this past Monday) and did it that way (series record). It gave me the conflict message and I hit "schedule when available" and it seemed to work. Both new episodes now show to record at 1AM.

So I guess its one of those weird things :)

no. Maybe I shouldnt have put the 8:00 note in there...but its a 1/2 hour show from 8-8:30. It doesnt conflict with anything

I have 2 shows right now set up to record from 9 to 9:30
The new one I want to add runs from 9-10

So in essence I have 3 shows at 9:00

But I think I figured it out. I found the 1st episode of the show that is coming up (its a rerun on Saturday..the episode that was on this past Monday) and did it that way (series record). It gave me the conflict message and I hit "schedule when available" and it seemed to work. Both new episodes now show to record at 1AM.

So I guess its one of those weird things :)

From reading your last post, your getting your Conflict because you have 3 things recording at the same time and you only have two tuners ....

correct...that part I know. Its not the 1st time I've run into the conflict but hadnt done it for series recording.

The issue was when I tried and set up the 3rd recording I told it to record when available which would be the 1AM "replay" (well west coast showing). Yet it showed an "X" for the 9:00 and wouldnt schedule the 1AM recording even though its considered 1st run. I figured out to just select the 1st episode that is coming up regardless if rerun or not and do the series from that recording. It worked then (skipped the 9PM recording and the 1AM one is set to record)

Too bad a lot of the shows I watch have to be on Monday ;)

correct...that part I know. Its not the 1st time I've run into the conflict but hadnt done it for series recording.

The issue was when I tried and set up the 3rd recording I told it to record when available which would be the 1AM "replay" (well west coast showing). Yet it showed an "X" for the 9:00 and wouldnt schedule the 1AM recording even though its considered 1st run. I figured out to just select the 1st episode that is coming up regardless if rerun or not and do the series from that recording. It worked then (skipped the 9PM recording and the 1AM one is set to record)

Too bad a lot of the shows I watch have to be on Monday ;)

Perfect reason for a 2nd HD DVR !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Paying for DNS channels 390-399??

Number of Receivers vs Whole Home

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)