seeing satellites

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've always wondered if satellites on the arc could be seen under the right conditions...

Last summer my father-in-law claimed he could see the satellites in the arc! :eek:

My first thought was he must of been at the bar all afternoon. :rolleyes:

He came down one night just after sunset and pointed to the skies. I laughed and asked just

how many beers did you have??!! Then I saw them and could not believe it!!! :shocked

There was a lineup glittering of star like looking things in a arc clear across the southern skies!

Those "stars" must be satellites and I do not drink!!! :eek: :eek:

I have seen this phenomena many times in the summer after that and a couple times in the winter.

The moonlight can really limit how much if any of the arc can be seen!

Did anyone else ever notice this??? :confused:

I always try to visualize the arc as I aim a dish. It would really be nice to be able to actually see it. Wouldn't have to wait for solar outage season ;) ...

I'm going to have to try it this fall. The first time I heard of it was when it was posted to Spaceweather the other day (a month and a half late.)

I'm going to have to try it this fall. The first time I heard of it was when it was posted to Spaceweather the other day (a month and a half late.)

What I "saw" was not the same as your original posting but I was looking on a clear night at possibly the "satellite arc".

I have slight astigmatism with laser correction, so am unable to see the arc with the naked eye. With a telescope I see the individual satellites in the arc. Only have a small Meade that I can use along with the Suunto and also tried with the iPhone DishPointer app, but was amazed how easy they were to automatically locate with a neighbor's computer/motorized system. Found specific satellites within a minute and could easy jump east or west to the next satellite.

The best time for viewing is within several hours of sunrise or sunset. The Western end of the arc in the evening and the eastern end in the morning hours. I'll rig the camera next time and post some shots. Don't expect to see solar panels.... LOL! They are just blips of light.

There was a member in the FTA section several years ago that mentioned that they had a set-up in an outbuilding. Anyone remember who this is?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

What brand of dish is this?

Possible Deal on used Ku Dishes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts