Second Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

playthecello

Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
northern NY
Hello,

We recently decided to add a second Directv receiver in another room. The room was already wired, so I decided to forgo the "professional installation", assuming I could just split the line and connect the second box, like an OTA antenna. Now that the box has arrived I got around to doing my homework, and have since learned about polarization and multi-switches and all that jazz. Oops.

Both boxes are SD, and we have a "ZKF-DX54" dish with a sticker claiming it has a built-in multiswitch. There is currently one cable running into the arm of said dish (connected to our current box), BUT there is also a 6" length of RG-6 with a male connector not connected to anything that's poking out of the back of the arm.

Can I simply connect the second box to this second cable? Might I have dodged a bullet here?

Thanks for your help!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You figured it out, all you have to do is run a cable from the short length coming off of the dish to the receiver. Make sure you are using compression type connectors, not the crimp style. You might want to remove the short cable and connect the cable from the receiver directly to the dish, less chance for leaks or loose connections that way.

reply take 2... Excellent! Thanks for your help! I was actually wondering about how to connect to that second wire, and just taking it off and directly connecting is probably the easiest/best way to go. I assume if I unbolt the LNB from the arm I'll see the female connectors on the back? This can be done without disrupting the dish's aim, correct? It's currently working, and I don't want to break it in the process. :)

Thanks again!

reply take 2... Excellent! Thanks for your help! I was actually wondering about how to connect to that second wire, and just taking it off and directly connecting is probably the easiest/best way to go. I assume if I unbolt the LNB from the arm I'll see the female connectors on the back? This can be done without disrupting the dish's aim, correct? It's currently working, and I don't want to break it in the process. :)

Thanks again!

As long as you are reasonably careful, you can remove the lnb with no problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HR24 and DIRECTV2PC Question

Lost some national SD and HD channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)