SatMex 5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hardrock

Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Trying to get a lock on SatMex 5 with little success. I am located in Maryland and was recently advised that my internet satellite service was being moved from AMC-4 to SatMex 5. I have located the satellite but I'm getting a weak signal. I have a 12' dish and using a videochiper II receiver. Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

hardrock

Welcome!
I moved this to the FTA section. I dont have C-band (at least not installed...I have a dish in my garage) so someone with C-Band should be able to help you out.

I know I can get KU side with no problems

So how much is this a month?

So you are getting something in antalog format? Do you have any digital receivers to try?

There was talkg about SatMex 5 a few months ago. Try a search on this forum to see what it was.

Good luck

hardrock said:
Trying to get a lock on SatMex 5 with little success. I am located in Maryland and was recently advised that my internet satellite service was being moved from AMC-4 to SatMex 5. I have located the satellite but I'm getting a weak signal. I have a 12' dish and using a videochiper II receiver. Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

hardrock

Ken
Sounds like Directway is the internet provider....at our lake house we can get that. Starts around 39.95 for 128/64K....59.95 for 512/128

Its KU band

SatMex 5 is a pretty strong satellite, but it is almost all digital feeds (DC2 and DVB). You won't be able to get any kind of lock with a VC/analog system.

Ken

Sorry for the delay in response but been away from the computer for a bit. Paying around $30.00 per month with Skyvision but not sure what it will be with this new change in satellite. I think this service is being taken over by Dirctway and the price will increase to around $60.00 per month.

hardricj

mkm4

Thanks for the response...does this mean that I need to get a Ku-band LNBF for the existing system to work or can I use my 2400A to receive the signal.

hardrock

Did a quick check on Sat Mex 5, there were no analog signals, but there is a few digital on the 922. I have never scanned for FTA with the 3618 so I don't know it. TP 809 is showing a test pattern with a signal strength of 64%, which is pretty good.

hardrock said:
mkm4

Thanks for the response...does this mean that I need to get a Ku-band LNBF for the existing system to work or can I use my 2400A to receive the signal.

hardrock

Receive what signal? The Directway signal? They'll should install a new dish for you.

If you want to see what's on the sat, you'll need a 4DTV receiver or an MPEG2/DVB receiver.

I saw that Skyvision price before and was thinking about looking into it more. Oh well :(

Sounds like it is time to look into DSL, Cable, Wireless long hall,

Ken

hardrock said:
Ken

Sorry for the delay in response but been away from the computer for a bit. Paying around $30.00 per month with Skyvision but not sure what it will be with this new change in satellite. I think this service is being taken over by Dirctway and the price will increase to around $60.00 per month.

hardricj

Are we talking about the skyvision service that is a satellite downstream and phone upstream?

Also whats up with this new Vision DTV product I see advertised on some of the websites? It sounds to me like I can use it for the downstream path of my internet for free and I would still have to pay for the dialup for the upstream. It would work exactly like the skyvision one but be free. To me it sounds too good to be true.

Enlighten Me

Wholeshoe

I would also be very interested, I used to have (and install) the AOL one way satellite system 'AOL plus' and it rocked! I had to "downgrade" to DSL when they pulled the plug, two way service is way too costly.

As I recall from when I checked into the sky vision service, it was $19.95 a month for the downlink from the satellite plus whatever you local dialup costs, for me thats $13.95.

So for $33.90 a month plus the $70 for the usb "receiver" that they offered (gotta have that one for the laptop) I can have pretty good internet service.

I was going to do it but I never got my dedicated dish set up for it. I would hate to be surfing and flip the tv channel and loose my internet connection because the dish changed sats.

As I remember the satellite she told me the KU feed was on is AMC6.

Wholeshoe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Merry Christmas!!

Why should YOU win a free DVB receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)