Satmeter Help....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdaniel

Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
123tim said:
Ken's right. The SF-95 is really worth it.

I am marveling at the number of posts in the new year about FTA. Maybe the time has come, huh?

I am 100% fresh (that is, Monday 10am I packed my car full of shiny new toys). The closest experience I can cite is that my dad was large into C band, back in the 80s when you could watch Wolf Blitzer talk to his cameraman.

My setup:
Dish = http://www.galaxy-marketing.com/winegard_dish.htm
Recv = http://www.galaxy-marketing.com/T100.htm
LNB = http://www.galaxy-marketing.com/techsat_tracker.htm
(I live about 10 minutes from those guys ;-) )
and, to make this on-topic, I got an SF-95 free with my purchase.

It and I are having a communication breakdown. I am able to make it squeal, but my confidence in its findings is greatly reduced because the squealing and signal level on the meter changes based on how close my hand is to the device. That smells of some kind of interference or signal leak.

My SF-95 did not come with one letter of instructions, so I am looking for input on how to best leverage this loud device. Well, actually I welcome any advice on anything (as has been the common sentiment here!).

Thanks and I look forward to my stay here,
-- /v\atthew​

Hi Mathew, most of those meters have a potentiometer that can set the sensitivity. On the back of that meter, there should be a label/sticker with a small diagram. Take it off or poke a hole in it and you will see the pot. It may or may not help with your problem, something to try. I can't stand the squelling of those things, makes the neighborhood dogs howl, I think it hurts their ears. I put a piece of Red Green tape over the hole to muffle the noise a bit.

Instructions?

mdaniel said:
I am marveling at the number of posts in the new year about FTA. Maybe the time has come, huh?
I am 100% fresh (that is, Monday 10am I packed my car full of shiny new toys). The closest experience I can cite is that my dad was large into C band, back in the 80s when you could watch Wolf Blitzer talk to his cameraman.
My setup:
Dish = http://www.galaxy-marketing.com/winegard_dish.htm
Recv = http://www.galaxy-marketing.com/T100.htm
LNB = http://www.galaxy-marketing.com/techsat_tracker.htm
(I live about 10 minutes from those guys ;-) )
and, to make this on-topic, I got an SF-95 free with my purchase.
It and I are having a communication breakdown. I am able to make it squeal, but my confidence in its findings is greatly reduced because the squealing and signal level on the meter changes based on how close my hand is to the device. That smells of some kind of interference or signal leak.
My SF-95 did not come with one letter of instructions, so I am looking for input on how to best leverage this loud device. Well, actually I welcome any advice on anything (as has been the common sentiment here!).
Thanks and I look forward to my stay here,
-- /v\atthew​

If I remember, you simply set the meter to 5 initially and then proceed to turn it down (back towards 5) as the signal climbs and that nasty noise increases!.

jeff

most of those meters have a potentiometer that can set the sensitivity

As does the SF-95; it's a knob about the size of a dime with -6 .. +6 db markings on it.

Maybe that's my misunderstanding. With it set at zero, it never says a word. With it set at +2, it jumps from "1" (much like the 68% signal strength I get on the receiver, one seems to get "1" on the satfinder just for turning it on) to "10" in a binary way.

I'm having some troubles finding the "middle ground" with this device.
-- /v\atthew​

If I remember, you simply set the meter to 5 initially and then proceed to turn it down (back towards 5) as the signal climbs and that nasty noise increases!.

That's the "instructions" that I found on the sadoun.com site. I'm having some difficulty executing them, which is why I'm seeking alternate input. I believe this situation is like trying to teach someone how to putt over the Internet, but I can't be the first chap that has run into this.

As I replied to starman345, with the SF-95 it seems to be an all or nothing situation. If the pentometer is set at 0, I get nothing. If I increase the sensitivity to around +2db, then it will eventually move. When it does move, it moves very quickly, which does not afford me an opportunity to "turn it back down toward 5".

-- /v\atthew​

Might be an issue or...

mdaniel said:
That's the "instructions" that I found on the sadoun.com site. I'm having some difficulty executing them, which is why I'm seeking alternate input. I believe this situation is like trying to teach someone how to putt over the Internet, but I can't be the first chap that has run into this.
As I replied to starman345, with the SF-95 it seems to be an all or nothing situation. If the pentometer is set at 0, I get nothing. If I increase the sensitivity to around +2db, then it will eventually move. When it does move, it moves very quickly, which does not afford me an opportunity to "turn it back down toward 5".
-- /v\atthew​

If you are set on a Satellite that has a strong signal this could also occur and the micro adjustment might just be too sensitive. If adjusting the dish changes the signal, stay where it seems to be highest...It is also possible that the meter has a flaw I suppose....
Jeff

We may be talking about two different things? I'm not talking about the knob on the front beside the display, I'm talking about a pot on the back of the meter usually hidden under a label. Take a screwdriver and adjust that pot.

Since a comment that I made seems to have started this post, I'd like to make another:
After a lot of fooling around trying different satellites and alignment techniques I renounce my previous statement about the SF 95. Don't get me wrong...I think that the SF 95 is a cool tool, but I seem to be finding that attention to precision alignment with my compass, and careful minute adjustments while watching the receiver alignment bar is working better for me. I decided this after I had a quality signal on G10R and decided to peak the signal using the SF 95. I found the SF 95 to be very indiscriminate. I was instantly pulled away from the Quality signal of G10R to some other higher level signal (From an adjacent satellite?). Maybe this can be attributed to inexperience, but I've done a good bit of alignment in my past, and I've been doing a lot of experimentation with my new system. I think that I'm going to keep my current position on alignment.
I hope that I haven't steered you wrong. Please accept my apology if you later find yourself in agreement with me.
In spite of everything that I've said, I'd still buy (and sometimes use) another SF 95 if mine were to break tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well said Tim1213, its a great wee tool but not a whole lot of use for FTA. As you note the stronger satellites dominate the sky and the meter will always pull you to the strongest adjacent signal.
Its better to have one rather than not have one but as is often said here in the FTA area a TV at the dish while tuning is the best way to point a dish.
Even the professional satellite identification meter I use is nothing but a small receiver and display(TV).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How to setup a fixed dish and receive IA5

A Sad Story.. With a Happy Ending

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)