Sat name editting, 4:2:2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SeattleSailor

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Hi all,
I've been discovering FTA for about a month now. I have a Satwork 3688 with .75m dish and motor (thanks Tom Taylor!). A couple of questions:

Is there any way to edit the satellite names? The list has lots I'll never use and is missing some of the ones I can see. I'd like to change the name of some of the satellites on the other side of the globe to the missing ones that I can see. Is it possible?

Regarding the NBC feeds as listed in lyngsat on amc1, they're listed as "4:2:2". What is that?

Point of interest - work takes me all over the world. I was in Iceland last week at a remote job site. They had sat TV in the rec room so I took a look at the dishes. At 66deg N latitude, the dishes looked like they were aimed into the ground! And I was complaining about the ground clutter on my horizon at a mere 48deg!

SS

Very interesting I have been Iceland a few times but never got to see any satellite dish, I am very interested in upside down dish for low elevations, the satellite names on the Satwork 3688 cant be manually changed, maybe future software updates will address that but I don't find it a problem, I do not have C band yet so I use a few C band satellites names in the correct orbital position (G9 for example for the Horizons 1 position at 127 deg w.) For one or two satellites and for just scanning the skys I use one of the satellite names from the other side of the world (Astra....) Hope this helps.

I dont have a Satwork so I cant help you with the editing of satellites. Pete (PSB) has one...hopefully he can help

4:2:2 means its digitally scrambled. There are some PC cards that can unscramble it (please note this is legal, as the signal is FTA). A regular receiver can't descramble it. It will acknowledge the signal, but if you tune to it, you wont get a picture

Thanks for the response guys! I was simply hoping to time-shift some network shows so as to not have to stay up so late, but there are other choices.

SS

I spent a lifetime there one day, its like the moon only it snows sideways! The hairiest landing I have ever had, so bad the passengers gave a round of applause on touch down! Maybe more like mars than the moon!

"Regarding the NBC feeds as listed in lyngsat on amc1, they're listed as "4:2:2". What is that?"

Normal DVB feeds use 4:2:0 format which means that the chrominance (color)signal is only a 1/4 the resolution of the luminance so if you have a 720 by 480 feed the color information is only 360 by 240, 4:2:2 is a much higher quality signal and looks as good
as analog and the chrominance is 1/2 the luminance so a 720 by 480 feed the color information will be 360 by 480. It takes a very expensive receiver or a pci card with the proper software decoders to view it. The bit rates are much higher then you see on normal DVB feeds also.

"SeattleSailor, not in Keflavik by any chance are you?

Landed in Keflavik, then took a flight to Egilsstadir on the other side, and then drove a few hours over the surface of the moon to a hydroelec project. Back home now.

SS

Iceberg
I dont have a Satwork so I cant help you with the editing of satellites. Pete (PSB) has one...hopefully he can help

4:2:2 means its digitally scrambled. There are some PC cards that can unscramble it (please note this is legal, as the signal is FTA). A regular receiver can't descramble it. It will acknowledge the signal, but if you tune to it, you wont get a picture

these signals are not scrambled.. the 4:2:2 mean its a hdtv station.. i get ocasional feeds on AMC 4 11.760 with most all my programs for the twinhan card .. i think i read some were on here that people had trouble with e 7/8 QPSK . I have had no problem with it .. just need to use a good codec..
last night i got to watch SNL in HD on NBC

It came in really good.. it was really fun to see only NBC network commercails.. no local or product feeds at all

Does any one know where i might be able to find a list or something of the feed schedule for these/..

Guys..

4:2:2 has nothing to do with encryption, and a 4:2:2 feed is not necessarily (and rarely) a high defintion feed. It's simply a different stream. Google "4:2:2 chroma" for all the info you can swallow.

Don't I wish the 4:2:2 feeds on AMC1 are HD. They are not docj2005. :)

why do say that these are not hd-tv..
i am trying to understand .. why you say that..

the res is 720 X 512i
uses 7/8 QPSK

sure looks just as good as psb-hd over on amc3

Not HD resolutions

Something isn't considered to be in High Definition unless it is at a resolution of at least 1270x720 with either interlacing or progressive scanning, or 1920x1080 with interlacing (progressive scanning in the near future but takes up too much bandwidth right now). Anything below that resolution isn't High Definition. 720x512 is close to that of standard resolution or DVD quality resolution which is 720x480 with interlacing.

from everything i can find on the net . The amc nbc transponder IS HD

just because its not super hd or any thing like that .. its a hd channel

docj2005 said:
from everything i can find on the net . The amc nbc transponder IS HD

just because its not super hd or any thing like that .. its a hd channel

if it's hd, it would screw up my Pansat and they don't...I just get a scrmabled picture

berg...
wouldnt that be because of the qspk of 7/8 or does it handle it ..

i know there is no scrambling.. on that transponder.. in fact tsreader see's it just fine..

the only thing i need to mess with is codecs

docj2005 said:
berg...
wouldnt that be because of the qspk of 7/8 or does it handle it ..

i know there is no scrambling.. on that transponder.. in fact tsreader see's it just fine..

the only thing i need to mess with is codecs

Most receivers cannot see HD or 4:2:2...PC Cards can see them :)

On my pansat 1500, when a HD signal is detected, the screen goes wacky and I lose my menu. (when I hit menu, I get no screen details) I have to master switch on/off to get it back.
The 4:2:2 feeds just are scrambled (sound but distorted whatever channel you were on last)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Need help "dialing in" the second LNB

Moving the dish around

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)