Samsung and Netflix showed 4K content in testing.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I saw a section of Samsung booth where they were showing a test channel of 4K content (movies) being downloaded. Not much info on the specs but the image did look quite detailed. Of more interest to me is that Netflix is working on a selection of 4K content so buyers of the new TVs will have something to watch.

Sony had surveyors out on the floor interviewing attendees about 4k and whether we would pay a premium price for blu ray content in native 4k or 2160p.

Cool with the Samsung TV's and thanks for info :) Samsung with RVU's for Directv and also Netflix sounds great :)

We went to the Samsung Booth and NO ONE at the Booth knew anything about the RVU set. I wanted to see it in hopes it would be a lot faster then the previous revisions.

Please let the surveyors know that if they build the premium into the tv price we would appreciate it not being duplicated in the content.

Last month there were rumor reports that Netflix had a 3D category up for a brief time with a couple movies. Then it disappeared as quickly as it appeared. An AVS member caught a screen pic of it. I'm sure with how popular 3D has become this past year, Netflix will soon have it.

Re bandwidth of 4K-- if you have Comcast broadband, you may wish to check into their Business broadband service which offers unlimited cap and the speed is provisioned with consistent rates that you buy in a tier. I have the lowest level which is now 40 down and 20 up. It keeps going up as the competition raises the bar. But the cap is unlimited, for now. The monthly rate is $139 and includes a 100MB web space and 100 email accounts. I'm sure cox and Time Warner also offer these business class services.

A rep from Sony said they will be offering their own 4K streaming content later this spring. The number he gave was true 4k will eat up 120 GB per typical movie which he said may be a problem for some ISP's. it is not certain if Sony will be publishing their content on multiple 50 GB disks or offer the new 150GB format. Eventually the special high capacity optical will be the standard, just not sure when that will be.

What I gathered is with 4K the early adopter beta group will be about 2 years in the making. I'm being realistic with current development trends now. 4K looks serious as did 3D. 3D is mainstay now and most TV makers consider it as a required feature in all TVs. 4k and how it will be delivered will be a changing game. The TVs whether 4K LED or OLED will be the decision. Of course there is also the area of compression schemes to consider. Like I said this will be about a 2 years ride to ubiquity. During this time we will have to suffer with all the Negative Nancy's who post ad nauseum their fears of anything new.

I got 60 at home so I am good there, just hope comcast signs up to be able to offer it

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app.

I don't know about all this 4K stuff. I have a 55" 1080p in my office and last time I watched a movie, I got dizzy during a car chase scene because it was so life like (dynamic mode). The picture quality was amazing. Now, how can 4K be that much better? In fact, is there a need for it ?

Cheers, K

Netflix to offer super HD and 3D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)