S video Cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brad1719

Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Hello. For some reason when the guy installed my direc tv, he did not hook up the S video cable. I read somewhere that this cable provides the best picture. I purchased a HD Tv the other day, and I want the best picure. I tired using only the S cable, and it did not work. I also tried the RCA cables, with the S cable, and that did not work. The only way it works, is the way he hooked it up.
Does all 3 cables need to be hooked up in order for it to work?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank's in advance,
Brad

Hello. For some reason when the guy installed my direc tv, he did not hook up the S video cable. I read somewhere that this cable provides the best picture. I purchased a HD Tv the other day, and I want the best picure. I tired using only the S cable, and it did not work. I also tried the RCA cables, with the S cable, and that did not work. The only way it works, is the way he hooked it up.
Does all 3 cables need to be hooked up in order for it to work?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank's in advance,
Brad

You don't mention what receiver you have. I hope it is a HD receiver if you have a HDTV. If you use the S-Video cable you also have to run audio cables, between your receiver and TV or Audio Amp.

Also if you look in your owner's manual it should tell you how to hookup your cables.

Hopefully you can make use of an HDMI cable, or at the very least a DVI-to-HDMI cable. That is the way to go.

Hopefully you can make use of an HDMI cable, or at the very least a DVI-to-HDMI cable. That is the way to go.

If I use the HDMI cable, is that the only cable I need between the receiver and the TV.
Thanks again.

If I use the HDMI cable, is that the only cable I need between the receiver and the TV.
Thanks again.

Yes, it will carry audio and video. If you have an hd receiver and television, you must use hdmi, dvi, or component cables. The dvi and component cables require you to use separate audio cables.

That is absolutely true. Using RCA cables will make HD look worse than a regular TV. Same for component cables depending on the signal and the TV. DVI or HDMI are the only ways to go. HDMI is preferable because one cable carries the audio too. Some older boxes have DVI outputs only, but you can get an DVI-to-HDMI cable and run audio separately. I'm doing that with a Comcast digital box and the picture is outstanding. Anything less and you're mating a VW bug transmission with a Corvette engine. Might as well drive the bug in that case.

Yep, even at 38 I love Nick and TV Land (or anywhere else to find classics). I LOVE "Get Smart", "Night Court" and "Married...With Children" (speaking of cheesy).

I am guessing Mike wasn't meaning component; I am thinking he may have meant COAX (RF) and RCA (aka composite) and got them confused.

Um, did everyone miss where he says he has a dvr+? He doesn't have the option for component or hdmi. S-video is the best quality he can get from that receiver.

Anyway, it is possible that you didn't select the correct input on your television after hooking up the s-video cable.

And yes, the s-video cable carries video only, the red/white rca cables will be necessary for audio.

That is absolutely true. Using RCA cables will make HD look worse than a regular TV. Same for component cables depending on the signal and the TV.

Two of my 1080i HD TVs only have component inputs, no HDMI or DVI. The picture is not bad at all. You can see the difference between them and my 1080p set with HDMI, but it is not that bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

OTA with no satellite connection?

How to align DirectV HD Dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts