s-video and audio over cat 5e

Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
I just successfully ran 300 feet of s-video and left/right line level audio over cat 5e WITHOUT A BALUN!!! I know that several companies sell baluns that convert the 75 ohm s-video and line level audio unbalanced outputs to the 110 ohm balanced line of the cat 5e cable.

I simply dedicated two pairs of wires to the s-video cable observing polarities, and the remaining two wires to left/right audio observing polarities.

It worked great, perfect picture and no hum or interference on the audio.
I am starting to wonder if these baluns that sell for approximately $70.00 or so are really necessary other than making a clean install. I am sure baluns are necessary in most cases but I can tell you this impedence mismatch has no visual or auditory effects that i can tell. I even tested the cable for interfence by running an electric fan, vacuum cleaner, florescent light, and uhf two way radio near the cable and no noticeable disruption in video or audio. Thought this would help everyone do cheaper installation on your distribution systems. :)

s/pdif audio ac-3 over cat 5e no balun

I just successfully sent digital coaxial s/pdif ac-3 stream over a single pair of wires on cat 5e cable 300 feet from my fortec ultra receiver to my kenwood surround receiver. worked perfectly. NO BALUN!!!! WOW!! since my house is wired with cat 5e this will be a great advantage.

what about this scenerio..... you have four pairs of wires in cat 5.

1 st pair........phone line
2 nd pair....... s/pdif digital audio stream
3 rd pair........ s-video luminance

s/pdif audio ac-3 over cat 5e no balun

I just successfully sent digital coaxial s/pdif ac-3 stream over a single pair of wires on cat 5e cable 300 feet from my fortec ultra receiver to my kenwood surround receiver. worked perfectly. NO BALUN!!!! WOW!! since my house is wired with cat 5e this will be a great advantage.

what about this scenerio..... you have four pairs of wires in cat 5.

1 st pair........phone line
2 nd pair....... s/pdif digital audio stream
3 rd pair........ s-video luminance
4 th pair........ s-video Y-Pb :D

or componet video - 3 pairs of cat 5e, 4 th pair - digital audio stream voila!! HD tv over cat 5 e with ac-3 dolby all in one cable that is approximately 6 cents per foot.

some of you please experiment and lets see what results you get.

I had done it before but not for S-video or digital audio, nor at the distance you have achived, congratulations!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HELP!!!Screen Went BLANK

Motorizing my Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)