Status
Please reply by conversation.

RedSavina

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 19, 2005
Groton, CT
Note to moderators: Please feel free to move/delete this thread as needed to comply with rules/standards of conduct. ;)

Found reference to a DreamBox DM8000 rumored to be coming out. Now I know that DreamBox is primarily a European brand... in fact, I've been cautioned to stick with the more common brands in the US. When it comes time to drop the coin, I'll no doubt take that advice. In the meantime, this is pretty interesting stuff.

Enjoy!
Red

Attachments

• DM8000.pdf
    118 KB · Views: 231
I'm with you! As I've searched and learned more about FTA, I have been more than a little surprised at the lack of "cutting-edge" features. Admittedly, there is not a lot of HDTV available so that is not a huge surprise. I thought I would find more PVR, too. The bid surprise (to me) was the lack of component video-capable receivers. I woulda thunk that the FTAers would represent a hight percentage of home theater stuff (component video, HDMI, AC-3).

Just goes to show my ignorance!

Anyway, with the predictions of a flood of low cost "slightly used" receivers hitting the market, maybe we'll see some of these new features more readily available.

On that note, is there a tradeshow where new receivers are unveiled? Is there a "season" when new receivers are available?

Thanks,
Red

Isn't the MPEG4 the 4:2:2 video compression that can currently only be seen using a computer and the proper video card? The signals look scrambled on a traditional FTA receiver (ie. WWE RAW). So, if the price is right, this could be the first receiver to allow us to view 4:2:2 video without going through the computer. I'm sure the price tag will be quite high.

I met with the dreambox guys at the Satellite Expo. THis sounds like one COOL box. :)

The dreambox IS a computer running some flavor of unix.

No MPEG 4 is not 4:2:2

I would love to review one of these babies as I am sure the rest of the staff is. :D

rjc3895 said:
Isn't the MPEG4 the 4:2:2 video compression that can currently only be seen using a computer and the proper video card? The signals look scrambled on a traditional FTA receiver (ie. WWE RAW). So, if the price is right, this could be the first receiver to allow us to view 4:2:2 video without going through the computer. I'm sure the price tag will be quite high.

You can buy one of these for $700 from a few dealers. They do 4:2:2 and HD feeds. :)

http://www.quali-tv.com/downloads/Leaflet_QS1080IR.pdf

RedSavina said:
I'm with you! As I've searched and learned more about FTA, I have been more than a little surprised at the lack of "cutting-edge" features. Admittedly, there is not a lot of HDTV available so that is not a huge surprise. I thought I would find more PVR, too. The bid surprise (to me) was the lack of component video-capable receivers. I woulda thunk that the FTAers would represent a hight percentage of home theater stuff (component video, HDMI, AC-3).

Just goes to show my ignorance!

Anyway, with the predictions of a flood of low cost "slightly used" receivers hitting the market, maybe we'll see some of these new features more readily available.

On that note, is there a tradeshow where new receivers are unveiled? Is there a "season" when new receivers are available?

Thanks,
Red

I would say the US probably drives the market for "cutting edge" technology and the market here for FTA is not what it is in Europe for example. As you point out, when prices fall you may see receivers with a broader feature set.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
I would say the US probably drives the market for "cutting edge" technology and the market here for FTA is not what it is in Europe for example. As you point out, when prices fall you may see receivers with a broader feature set.

Good point! My US-centric view of the world sometimes gets in the way of reality. In this case, we are probably not "driving the bus" as Asia and Europe are ahead of us (historically speaking) with FTA. That, plus a general sense that the European market is much stronger for FTA and MPEG2 in general no doubt has an impact.

This train of thought brings Japan to mind... In the cell phone and PDA markets, Japan often has way cooler products that aren't available in the US. Most often this is attibuted to the conservative US corporate culture. Anyway, I don't recall reading anything on Japan (ie not mainland Asia) and FTA. Hmmm.

As Scott mentioned above, this box is actually a computer running Linux. I'm particularly interested in its ability to exist on the LAN. The idea of pushing programming around my network has definitely got my wheels turning. Depending on bandwidth issues, a person might also be able to do some audio/video distribution via 802.11g. Laptops and PDAs suddenly get a little more fun!

If anyone is interested, I found the english manual for the Dreambox DM7020. It is 14MB, so I'll have to dig up the link as my dial-up connection isn't ideal for uploading.

Cheers,
Red

Edit: Found the link: http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/dm7020/update/manual_english_7020.pdf

The HTPCs that people have had for years before this receiver are way more advanced. In fact this Dreambox is a less powerful computer than what I have had for 2 years. It only features a receiver box. My HTPC is an HDTV and 4:2:2 PVR and DVD recorder with DVI output, and besides everything that those "cutting edge" receivers can do, it is also a full blown PC.
Proprietary receivers (like DishNetwork, DirecTv, EVU etc) are needed to watch and record programs that are encrypted and can't be watched via PC. There's not much HDTV FTA anywhere in the world (in Europe specifically there's not any viable HDTV at all). That's why we haven't seen those features on FTA receivers yet, and chances are there won't be much in the future either.

beeb said:
The HTPCs that people have had for years before this receiver are way more advanced. In fact this Dreambox is a less powerful computer than what I have had for 2 years. It only features a receiver box. My HTPC is an HDTV and 4:2:2 PVR and DVD recorder with DVI output, and besides everything that those "cutting edge" receivers can do, it is also a full blown PC.
Proprietary receivers (like DishNetwork, DirecTv, EVU etc) are needed to watch and record programs that are encrypted and can't be watched via PC. There's not much HDTV FTA anywhere in the world (in Europe specifically there's not any viable HDTV at all). That's why we haven't seen those features on FTA receivers yet, and chances are there won't be much in the future either.

I agree to an extent. No question that the HTPC is a very powerful tool and cost effective when you compare it to a Quali receiver. However, I would say that I was surprised at the number of HD feeds out there now-especially sports. If the receiver mfgs do not provide HD and 4:2:2 support then you will definately see more FTA users turn to HTPC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Box Peaking

College football wild feeds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)