Revisiting: A TV antenna on your boat

About six months ago, I wrote an article on this blog about putting a TV antenna on your boat. Even though it hasn’t been that long, I thought I should revisit the topic because a lot of boat owners are starting to take their boats out on the water now and it’s a good time to be talking about antennas.

TV antenna for your boat – a smart idea now more than ever​

Live TV on your boat is a real pleasure to have. If you already have satellite TV equipment on the boat, it’s a great way to get that entertainment you crave. Last year, a lot of folks thought that they could move away from satellite TV to an all-streaming solution. Then they found out the hard way that their streaming plan wasn’t unlimited. Without an unlimited data plan for your boat — and they’re expensive — you could run out of data in just a few days at the beginning of the month. That’s why this year, a lot of people are rushing to turn that satellite TV service on again.

DIRECTV for your boat is as good as it’s always been, but for those folks who have single-satellite dishes like the Intellian i3 or KVH TracVision TV3/TV5, you may find that you no longer get those local channels you got last year. Those satellite systems can only see DIRECTV’s 101 satellite, and that satellite only carries local channels in standard-definition. (The exception is if you live in the New York City or Los Angeles areas, you’ll get those local channels.) It’s been 15 years since the rest of the country went all-HD, and DIRECTV is starting to remove those standard-def local channels as well. Here’s an up-to-date list of areas without standard-definition locals, so you can see if you’re affected.

How to keep your local channels​

Getting local channels on your boat is easy– just put up an antenna! With a TV antenna you’ll get local channels up to 75 miles off shore and you can scan for channels any time you’re in a new port. Add a converter box like this one and you can even get local TV while the boat is going faster than 15 knots. That’s a big improvement from last year when this tech wasn’t available.

You can choose any number of antennas. I personally recommend this Televes DiNova Boss Mix. It’s well-built, the sensitive parts are protected from the elements, and it even comes in white to match your boat. It mounts easily and with just a little time spent you’ll have the locals you want!

Even better, when you use an antenna, you’ll get locals in high definition, even better than what you had before! And antenna TV is completely free once you make that initial investment. How many times does that happen today?

Find out what your boat’s capable of​

Signal Connect can help you turn your boat into an entertainment paradise. We’re not just about satellite TV anymore. We can help you with everything you need to enjoy life on the water. Call the experts at 888-233-7563 to find out more. We’re here during East Coast business hours. If it’s after hours, fill out the form below! We’ll get right back to you.

The post Revisiting: A TV antenna on your boat appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Cingular commercials from the turn of the century

NICE AND EASY: Can you cascade a SWM-30?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)