Removing second reciever

brian_tr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
I am being laid off from work and trying to lower my bills. I have been with dish for a very long time. One of the things would be to remove second reciever from account. They said it would cost $95 to come out and hook reciever to second tv or have to sign up for severice plan and spend another $15 for call. I dont want do to either. Im trying to lower my monthly bill not add to it. I was hoping they would offer second reciever for free since I have been with them so long. Are these my only options?

What receivers do you have and how many tvs do you need to serve with them?

If all you are doing is getting rid of a receiver I don't know why that would take a service call. What they may be talking about is using one receiver to feed 2 tvs which isn't that difficult.

State what you are trying to accomplish and I'm sure some of us can help you do it without a service call.

I think that Dish's biggest mistake was the high receiver fees. In my opinion, Dish seemed to be doing well until they implemented all those receiver fees. To make matters worse, they increased some programming packages after saying that they were the only provider who did not (even if it was $2/month) if memory serves me correctly.

If you just want to remove a receiver and then split the picture from your primary receiver to another TV it shouldn't be a problem. When you call Dish you should be able to deactivate your receiver and you will have to return it to Dish if it's leased. If it is purchased you can do what you want with it.

If you want to split the picture from your primary receiver to more TVs you can simply do it yourself. All you need to do is run RG-6 from the receiver to whatever TV you want. If there is more than one you can use a splitter.

OP, you are asking to remove a receiver which will reduce your monthly rate (amount depends on which receiver you are referring to). But asking for a rewire will not be free as you are asking for someone to change your existing setup. Dish does not do service calls for free once a period of time passes on an upgrade, nor will you get free service other than a few promos (and from your descriptions, that is not what you are asking for). Additional equipment will always incur additional fees.

Did you ask Dish to come out to rewire your house?

If yes, then they will charge you.

If no, I don't know why Dish is charging you so much to send one receiver back to Dish. You only need to pay shipping and that is it to ship back the receiver you no longer need.

In some cases, you probably do need some rewiring inside the house. It is better to do it yourself then asking Dish. Sometimes, when they hear "rewiring", they will give you a bad time or tell you "no need".

If you simply delete a receiver from your inventory, there is no charge from Dish.

If additionally you want the output from the remaining receiver rewired, you get the standard Dish house call chanrge - $95.

You might see if signing up for Dish Home Advantage (DHA) would drop the $95 to $15, of course there is a $25 cancellation fee if you do not wish to pay the $6.95/month for DHA.

That would make the house call $40 not $95 if you cancelled DHA immediately after the house call.

Alternatively, you could insert a common splitter into the RF output from the remaining receiver and run RG-6 to the TV that lost it's receiver.

Adding receiver help

Weather induced loss of signal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts