Removal of front flap on 722k for USB access...possible w/o breaking it?

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I just ordered the Sling adapter. I am already using the rear USB port for a wifi adapter. I was just wondering if there was a way to remove the plastic door that covers the USB port on the front without breaking it. I think it would look nicer have it off completely rather than to just have it open and sticking out. Has anyone done this? It looks like I'd break the hinge if I tried.

It will come out and go back in (I only know because it came off of mine one time while setting up my tailgate). Snapped right back on with no problem. However, I didn't intend to take it off so I'm not sure the best method. You could just get a powered USB hub and have it all in the back.

On my 922, I managed to take it off and had a buddy bend it a bit so it could still be closed with the usb cable sneaking out. got a clean look. I am not sure about this but I wouldn't recommend a usb hub since you are already using a wifi adapter there (I've used hubs but with multiple HDDs never with a wifi adapter).

On my 922, I managed to take it off and had a buddy bend it a bit so it could still be closed with the usb cable sneaking out. got a clean look. I am not sure about this but I wouldn't recommend a usb hub since you are already using a wifi adapter there (I've used hubs but with multiple HDDs never with a wifi adapter).

I'm currently using a USB hub recommended by another SatelliteGuys member in the quote below. I have a Sling Adapter, Wifi Adapter AND an EHD connected to it (and the hub connected to the rear port) and it works fine.

This is the one I use for my wife's 722k and it works great.

Amazon.com: N. Caine's review of D-Link DUB-H4 High Speed USB 2.0 4-Port Hub

Apply pressure near the hinge on one side or the other while you open and close the door... though I find it easier to do from the left side of the 722k when standing in front.

quick video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsbXpqDD1bg

Edit: You know.. I just don't f**ing get it with this website's software.. I explicitly take check marks out of the 'Automatically convert', and the 'retrieve titles', and the 'parse links' options ... and it STILL f**ing does it.. :mad: leaving me the only option to let it open a gaping hole for the video window, or make the user copy and paste the link manually So.. hopefully O.P. can just copy and paste URL above.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the video. I'd prefer that to having another thing plugged into the surge suppressor. Plus, I have a right-angle USB extension that will make it look a little cleaner. Of course, if I get an EHD, I'll have to get a powered hub. Do most work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)