Remote HD TV reception quality

jyukon

Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Bunker Hill, IL
I just bought two new Insignia HD tv's for my girls to watch in their rooms. Both of their rooms are the remote tv locations (not the ones attached to the HD DVR boxes). The setup worked great with 20 year old tvs in their rooms and the picture was great. After installing the new tvs, we noticed the picture quality is seriously degraded. I have called Dish and Best Buy with no help. After changing some settings with no improvement, I was told that the pictures would not get any better. Both sets have a great picture from the built in dvd players and the other sets that are connected to the Dish boxes have good pictures. Surely I am not the only one in the world trying to hook up remote HD tvs. Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.
Thanks

The second TV is fed through analog NTSC coax. NTSC is not a high definition format.

On top of that, the HDTV is making all picture flaws stand out, which makes it look worse than it would on an old tube TV.

It is also possible that the NTSC tuner in your HDTV may not be as good as the old TV's tuner was.

The only solution, is to get another receiver for the HDTV. Current receivers are not capable of outputting HDTV to two separate televisions, unless you want them both to tune in to the same channel, in which case you will need to run a component video or HDMI line to the second TV.

You are not doing anything wrong. A standard definition picture on a high definition TV looks lousy. To get the best picture, you need to get HD receivers for the new TVs.

The setup worked great with 20 year old tvs in their rooms and the picture was great. Thanks

That's EXACTLY your problem - those TV2 coax hookups were NOT made for HDTV's, as the other posters have told you. One thing I would suggest though - change the picture on those new TV's so that it is NOT stretching it out (filling the entire TV screen) but instead is showing it in normal 4:3 format. Yea, I know you'll have side bars, but you'll probably find the picture does look a little better, as an SD TV signal was NOT made to be stretched & still look good.

And as already been said - you want HD quality on those sets, you'll need to pony up for HD receivers... ;) ;)

And as already been said - you want HD quality on those sets, you'll need to pony up for HD receivers... ;) ;)
No... Dish needs to get off it's arse and realize there is no need for SD TV2 anymore, and make the darn thing output an ATSC signal for TV2! :mad:
...problem solved!

No... Dish needs to get off it's arse and realize there is no need for SD TV2 anymore, and make the darn thing output an ATSC signal for TV2! :mad:
...problem solved!
Can you think of another application that uses a home ATSC encoder/modulator? I think not. Places like big-box stores have such devices so as to allow them to set all of the displace to a specific channel and then they send their video out on that
ATSC channel.

Also, what about copy protection? You copy an encrypted Dish offering and sent it out in the clear via ATSC? I think not. lol

Can you think of another application that uses a home ATSC encoder/modulator? I think not. Places like big-box stores have such devices so as to allow them to set all of the displace to a specific channel and then they send their video out on that
ATSC channel...

I wont say "all" big box stores, but Target and Walmart use their own programing for their display TV's, I have no idea if it is a Bluray or closed circuit. So rebroadcasting in the clear is not an issue there...of course if ATSC modulaters/encoders are available to the big box stores how long before they are available on e/bay. Someone will figure it out long before dish or anyone else does....

Ross

No... Dish needs to get off it's arse and realize there is no need for SD TV2 anymore, and make the darn thing output an ATSC signal for TV2!
ATSC Modulators go for upwards of $1,000 each. How many do you want?

The answer is something like the Slingbox/Slingcather combo (ViP922) or an independent HD output section with its own HDMI jack. With the modern HDMI wall jack pairs, you can do long-distance HDMI for cheap over a pair of dedicated Cat5e STP cables.

So rebroadcasting in the clear is not an issue there...of course if ATSC modulaters/encoders are available to the big box stores how long before they are available on e/bay.
Look behind all of those TVs and I'll bet you will find that they are all connected with component video cables and conventional RCA stereo audio. Things aren't always what you assume they are.

Also, what about copy protection? You copy an encrypted Dish offering and sent it out in the clear via ATSC? I think not. lol
Send it out where? Through a coax cable, into a TV in the next room?
Call the satellite police! :p I see no harm in this whatsoever! :D:up
Especially when I'm the one PAYING for the "encrypted Dish offering" :rolleyes:

Send it out where? Through a coax cable, into a TV in the next room?
Call the satellite police! :p I see no harm in this whatsoever! :D:up
Especially when I'm the one PAYING for the "encrypted Dish offering" :rolleyes:
No. Send the unencrypted video from the Dish receiver to any HD recording device. An HD content provider sells its product to Dish with the understanding that Dish will insure that that HD content that may eventually be stored on their STB can not be transferred in HD to another storage device that could, for example, end up being a second HD copy on someone else's storage device. (An authorized EHD cannot have its content transferred or viewed by anyone else and the content remains encrypted.) Dish accomplishes this by utilizing HDCP to insure that the digital HD signal can only be utilized by a viewing device.
Your sarcasm not withstanding, allowing the Dish STB to send out HD content in the unencrypted ATSC format would cause a total loss of control of that HD content.

Hope that helps you to understand. lol

Last edited:
I don't know what you think is lolworthy about the encryption issue. It's actually quite perverted and not funny at all. Just to show you how screwed up the situation is, on another forum, I once posted my usual complaint, that the carriers should've all put up a unified front against the content providers and demanded that people be allowed to make unencrypted recordings of digital programs just as they always had been with analog, and some bozo actually had the audacity to say "that would be collusion"! I said, no, collusion is what the entertainment industry and the government are doing NOW. If we had the rights that we SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY have, not only would we be able to watch HD anywhere in the house without any bogus fees, not only wouldn't we have to pay an external HD fee, but we wouldn't even have to use Dish's receivers, because there are plenty of DVB receivers with card slots!

And please note that I am actually being quite conservative here. If I wanted to be liberal, I would ask why we allow encrypted broadcasts at all when broadcasting is supposed to be regulated for the public good.

No. Send the unencrypted video from the Dish receiver to any HD recording device.

Hope that helps you to understand. lol
HD is simply progress.
We had Black & White.
We had color.
all in SD.
All of these could be recorded on a VCR, and then even DVD recorders,
in it's original SD format.
Now as we take the next step, to yet a higher quality signal, suddenly we're not supposed to record it anymore?
Maybe you can understand... We all pay, every month for that signal, and suddenly more resolution means more restriction on it! :rant:Insane.
OK, I'll settle for a second set of component video outputs -for TV2. :rolleyes:

If we had the rights that we SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY have, not only would we be able to watch HD anywhere in the house without any bogus fees, not only wouldn't we have to pay an external HD fee, but we wouldn't even have to use Dish's receivers, because there are plenty of DVB receivers with card slots!
Since when did your rights trump copyright?

The concept of copyright has been around and in force for a very long time and I can't imagine how you could simply sweep it under the carpet to develop your own little scheme where the protections no longer apply if they don't suit you.

HD package question

Platinum package ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts