Remote connect to VIP 612

engineeredwithlayton

Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Arizona
I have a TV in my office that I want to connect to my VIP612 in the living room. Basically the office TV is used as a 2nd monitor to my Dell laptop and I used to stream TV from ADT#E.net till it was just recently shut down. Now I need to connect to my Dish network. Short of running a 40-ft RGB cable from the box to the office TV (or buying a new dual HD receiver) what are my wireless options?

A friend told me that I could get a wireless adapter for the dish box and stream to the TV? Is this true? The TV is a 2nd monitor and hooked to my wireless router hardwired through a CAT6-cable. I am only interested in slaving to the 2nd TV since I am either in the office or the LR not ever both.

My current setup:

LR - VIP 612 connected to TV
Office - Vizio Razor
Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem
Netgear WNR834B wireless router

Dish has also put some box in my office that is plugged to the router to allow my Dish box to get online.

Thus can I access the VIP 612 via the existing Internet connection through the power cords or wireless with a usb plugged antenna in the DVR so I can watch TV in my office without a new box or direct wire?

Any other suggestions to maximize my setup would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I would continue to stream, but instead use a slingbox. An advantage is you can make the window as big or small as you want, allowing other things to be on the monitor if you wish. Because you won't be going over the internet, but instead using your own network, the picture will be very good.
In addition, you can stream without the software even being installed because Sling has a site where your box is registered and you can stream from that site if you wish. You will also find going through a slingbox also connects to the Dishnetwork site, allowing you to program your 612 from there if you wish also......

I don't believe the Dish Sling Adaptor works on the 612, but the slingbox works great.

So I checked this. Doest the Slingbox have to be connected to the router via ethernet cable? It appears this is how it works? Thus they show you can buy a bridge to accomplish this or I am still going to have to run a cable.

My question then is...can I use the bridge already installed by Dish Network ?

It is already installed in my office and says "home-plug ethernet" as a product name.

So I checked this. Doest the Slingbox have to be connected to the router via ethernet cable? It appears this is how it works? Thus they show you can buy a bridge to accomplish this or I am still going to have to run a cable.

My question then is...can I use the bridge already installed by Dish Network ?

It is already installed in my office and says "home-plug ethernet" as a product name.

While a direct Ethernet connection is the best way to go IMHO, you can purchase additional accessories to make the connection via the power. I do not believe Sling has changed their equipment to make that feature native, even on the PRO. I can of course be wrong, but last I checked that is a true statement. The "bridge" already installed would actually need a buddy I think. The item you have will allow the receivers to connect without another device like it, but not the SlingBox. You would need a second one to be located at the SlingBox itself. I believe there is also a "wireless" accessory for the SlingBox itself, but again I lost the instructions to mine long ago.

No signal on one tuner

second receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts