Reelz

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Just saw "All the Right Moves" on Reelz recently. Looks like an interesting channel -- some old movies and stuff like that. Should be available for anyone who has America's Top 120 and on up. Channel 299, and I think also duplicated on 289 or something like that, for some reason.

Anyhow, probably not the world's most interesting thread topic, but I figured some folks might be interesting in hearing about a kind of obscure channel that they probably get but may have never watched that might have an occasional movie they want to see.

What other "hidden gems" are out there in most of the programming tiers? Any cool "below the radar" channels we might want to check out one night?

Just saw "All the Right Moves" on Reelz recently. Looks like an interesting channel -- some old movies and stuff like that. Should be available for anyone who has America's Top 120 and on up. Channel 299, and I think also duplicated on 289 or something like that, for some reason.

Anyhow, probably not the world's most interesting thread topic, but I figured some folks might be interesting in hearing about a kind of obscure channel that they probably get but may have never watched that might have an occasional movie they want to see.

What other "hidden gems" are out there in most of the programming tiers? Any cool "below the radar" channels we might want to check out one night?

TV Guide Channel also shows movies.

For some content is more important than whether the program is HD. Heck I will watch a good B&W movie in SD before I will watch grass grow in HD.

TV Guide Channel also shows movies.

Cool. Would never have even thought to check that channel out. I remember it from years ago when it was just a programming guide. Makes sense that it would have adapted it's strategy in an era where programming guides through cable and satellite boxes are so common, though. What channel number is it on Dish?

In my house, if it ain't "HD", it doesnt' exist.. :)

Well, in my apartment, you wouldn't be watching any TV at all if you took that attitude. ;) I have an old finicky bottom of the line HDTV from years ago, but Dish Network in it's infinite wisdom decided that I didn't qualify for free HD install and free HD for life when I signed up for a dish a few months back, so I only have SD service (And that install cost me). Stretched SD pictures all around. I couldn't afford cable anymore, though, so this was really my only viable option for television service (Well, unless you count just OTA locals from the cable company -- and I'd rather read a book than pay for that). I try to look at the bright side and say, well, at least I have television service, and a decent (if incomplete in some areas) array of channels. I'm as natural pessimist and born curmudgeon, though, so it isn't easy to look at the bright side. ;) But I try. :)

Last edited:
Cool. Would never have even thought to check that channel out. I remember it from years ago when it was just a programming guide. Makes sense that it would have adapted it's strategy in an era where programming guides through cable and satellite boxes are so common, though. What channel number is it on Dish?

TV Guide Network is channel 117. You can also find some shows on TV Guide Channel like Weeds, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Ugly Betty, and Punk'd. Of course, they also show their own shows and specials. Some movies that will be playing in the week are Cocktail, The Whole Nine Yards, The Brady Bunch Movie, Courage Under Fire, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, and Bounce. Times for movies may vary on certain days. A while back, they were showing made-for-TV or Lifetime-like movies in the afternoon. It was somewhat funny to see some actors/actresses before they were stars. Anyway, I think that they show movies at 8:00/7:00 P.M./c most of the time.

We recently switched from America's Top 250 with HD 250 Free and HD Platinum to Dish Latino Dos with HD Dos Free with Encore Movies. We were not watching as much TV; so, we figured that we could save $30/month. We no longer get Reelz Channel, but I believe that it is in Dish Latino Max. However, in some ways, I like how the Dish Latino packages are different than the America's Top packages. Otherwise, it would not make sense to offer the different programming packages. I like how there are choices, but at the same time, you have to be careful when finding one that meets your needs. If we dropped a Duo receiver since those have gotten so expensive, we could probably save another $14 and the protection plan as well since that is another $6. That is $20 already. However, we like independent viewing of each TV. If things get any worse in terms of increases or the economy, then those may be the next things to consider. Ugh. So gloomy to talk about that stuff.

Anyway, if you are a movie person, then there is an option to add Encore Movies (7 channels) a la carte for $5/month if you do not have America's Top 250. With this, you would get Channels 341-346 and 377:
Channel 341 Encore (West) [remember that Encore West would be three hours later from the schedule on the site]
Channel 342 Encore Westerns
Channel 343 Encore Action
Channel 344 Encore Mystery [also in the $10 Platinum add-on]
Channel 345 Encore Drama
Channel 346 Encore Love
Channel 377 MoviePlex [also in the $10 Platinum add-on]

What we like about these are that the movies are uncut and commercial-free during the movie. What is odd is that Encore (East) SD/HD is not included; however, the West feed is there. So, everything is just three hours later. Another odd thing is not getting Encore WAM, but I believe it plays on MoviePlex on Sundays about an hour off. Then, some of the other Encore channels play on there about an hour off. It comes in handy sometimes when not having a DVR. IndiePlex HD and RetroPlex HD are in the $10 Platinum add-on, too. I wonder if they will ever add the SD feeds to the Platinum package and possibly to the Encore Movie package. I would not mind if the price stays the same, though. :) However, we did not need another fee. If we knew that the Duos were going to go up; it would have paid for us to just get 2 211s and turn those into DVRs. Of course, that was not something we were expecting.

I hope this helps you and possibly someone else. :)

Last edited:
I still stand by my statement... :) My favorite list is HD Only.

..., and that is fine.
However, I know some people do not care if it is SD or HD.
Of course, I would prefer HD channels if they are showing some real HD. However, I am comfortable also watching SD.
I am just sharing some options. Therefore, they are optional; I am not saying everyone will want to choose these options.

TV Guide Network is channel 117.

Cool. I checked it out and they don't even have the scrolling TV listings on the bottom of the screen anymore, the exclusion of which is a big plus for when you're trying to watch a movie. Definitely a channel to keep an eye on. Cocktail is on tonight and looks intriguing -- don't know if I'll be able to catch it or not, have some stuff I have to get done, but looks like a movie that's worth watching.

Anyway, if you are a movie person, then there is an option to add Encore Movies (7 channels) a la carte for $5/month if you do not have America's Top 250.

Interesting option to consider. Extra movies for less cost than the better known premium options. I doubt it would be something I'd do personally since basically I already don't have all the sports I want, and when my intro offer expires next year I'll probably have to cut down even further (With the key thing being to keep as many local sports as possible), but I could imagine that coming in really useful for some folks who's main priority is movies. I wonder if it can be added to even the sub America's 120 packages. Could turn the $15 welcome pack into a $20 package worth watching for movie fans looking for something very basic.

What is odd is that Encore (East) SD/HD is not included

I was checking out the programming guide and it looks like that single Encore channel is available to me, probably because of the free Starz for a year promotion thing. So maybe it's considered part of the Starz package. It does seem odd that there is a separate Encore package that doesn't include, well, Encore. One would think they'd put it in both packages.

I hope this helps you and possibly someone else. :)

It's good information. Thanks for posting it.

Cool. I checked it out and they don't even have the scrolling TV listings on the bottom of the screen anymore, the exclusion of which is a big plus for when you're trying to watch a movie. Definitely a channel to keep an eye on. Cocktail is on tonight and looks intriguing -- don't know if I'll be able to catch it or not, have some stuff I have to get done, but looks like a movie that's worth watching.

Interesting option to consider. Extra movies for less cost than the better known premium options. I doubt it would be something I'd do personally since basically I already don't have all the sports I want, and when my intro offer expires next year I'll probably have to cut down even further (With the key thing being to keep as many local sports as possible), but I could imagine that coming in really useful for some folks who's main priority is movies. I wonder if it can be added to even the sub America's 120 packages. Could turn the $15 welcome pack into a $20 package worth watching for movie fans looking for something very basic.

I was checking out the programming guide and it looks like that single Encore channel is available to me, probably because of the free Starz for a year promotion thing. So maybe it's considered part of the Starz package. It does seem odd that there is a separate Encore package that doesn't include, well, Encore. One would think they'd put it in both packages.

It's good information. Thanks for posting it.

Cocktail will most likely play again on TV Guide Network if I had to guess. We get TV Guide Network with Dish Latino Dos.

As far as I know, Encore Movies a la carte can be added to any package (such as America's Top 120). I have read that Welcome Pack subs have added this a la carte, and it is a great way for Dish to keep customers. I think someone wrote that the Welcome Pack is $14.99/month and that Dish Family is $24.99/month. Therefore, those are some great prices to keep customers. We added Encore Movies a la carte to Dish Latino Dos (currently $44.99/month). We really like these movie channels. Well, we like mostly local sports if we watch any sports at all. So, Dish Latino Dos worked well for us since it includes the regional sports networks and locals. Fox Soccer Channel is also in the package. I think we also get those horse racing channels (TVG and Horseracing TV or whatever it is called) and that new hunting channel (Pursuit Channel) on channel 240. I also read that the MultiSports package can be added to this package for $7/month; I also read there is an annual way to pay to save more money. The only thing is it would not work for someone who likes ESPN and ESPN 2 since those two are in Dish Latino Max (currently $57.99/month). So, the Dish Latino packages vary from the America's Top packages, but it may be worth looking into for some. The only thing to get used to is not having the mapped down HD channels; the HD channels are in the 5000 range. Otherwise, the SD channels may be the same channel number, or they may be in the 800 range (for the SAP feature is my guess if I had to guess). What sports channels are you interested in? Even if I cannot help you out with what you want, I am sure someone here is knowledgeable to help you out. I will attach an Excel worksheet that I created in order to help you compare the lower packages if you need help making a decision in the future since that is what I did to help us figure out which package really met our needs. I mean you really can't watch or listen to every single channel all the time. View attachment DishNetworkComparison.xls Again, I hope this helps. I will probably have to add the Welcome Pack and Dish Family when I have time.

Yes, I forgot to mention that the HD feed of Encore East is included in America's Top 250 but not the SD feed of Encore East. However, to get the SD feed of Encore East, one would have to sub to Starz; the HD feed is also available in the Starz package. Odd but true...LOL

What sports channels are you interested in?

Well, my regional sports networks are pretty much "must haves" to make a television package worth paying, given that any television package takes a significant bite of my budget. When I canceled cable and began to consider other options, I basically said to myself if I couldn't get my regional sports networks (especially Orioles games) and MSNBC, it wouldn't be worth getting anything.

So, with Dish, I wound up with America's Top 200, which is only $40 a month for the first 12 months (Well, plus a $5 increase, but minus $5 for 6 months I got off by discussing it with Dish). That's where I plan to stick till the regular price of $60 kicks in around the end of the year, but after that, I may have to drop down. I am looking at America's Top 120+, which would include the RSNs, but not MSNBC, which is sort of annoying (MSNBC is usually part of regular old expanded basic cable). I'd gladly trade FOX News for MSNBC if they'd let me. ;) So I have to sort of mull whether there is any way I can pull off keeping the 200 after the promotional rate expires, but it's not looking likely.

Anyhow, other sports channels I like include ESPN, ESPN2, NFL Network, Versus, ESPNU, NHL Network, NBA Network, ESPNews, CBS College Sports, and ESPN Classic (In that order, really -- wouldn't mind MLB Network either, though I know it's not available on any tier). Right now at the AT 200, I think I get everything except Versus (Something that can be aggravating to have missing for a hockey fan, but it is what it is) and ESPN Classic. If I have to drop down to AT120+, I'll be missing basically everything after "ESPN2", but I should be able to deal with it (Cause, you know, I'll have to).

One thing that's sort of tangentially related is that it'd be awfully nice to be able to swap my south-central PA over-the-air locals for the Baltimore locals, or add on the Baltimore ones. That'd help with Ravens games, primarily. The cable company offers some of the Baltimore locals in addition to the Pennsylvania ones, so I know it's something Dish *could* do, and it'd be great if they'd consider it.

One plus I can say is that Dish offers the "right" RSNs -- i.e. the Baltimore-Washington ones -- and gets all the overflow channels for both of them. The cable around here had them, but skimped on the overflow channel for one of them (In fairness, they offered a Pitsburgh and a Philly RSN as well that Dish doesn't in my area -- but I cared more about catching overflow Caps games on the overflow the cable didn't offer than sports from the two big PA cities, which aren't teams I root for.) ).

Last edited:
Reelz is distributed in HD on Galaxy 17. Dish only offers it in SD, but there is an HD option if they choose to provide it.

Well, my regional sports networks are pretty much "must haves" to make a television package worth paying, given that any television package takes a significant bite of my budget. When I canceled cable and began to consider other options, I basically said to myself if I couldn't get my regional sports networks (especially Orioles games) and MSNBC, it wouldn't be worth getting anything.

So, with Dish, I wound up with America's Top 200, which is only $40 a month for the first 12 months (Well, plus a $5 increase, but minus $5 for 6 months I got off by discussing it with Dish). That's where I plan to stick till the regular price of $60 kicks in around the end of the year, but after that, I may have to drop down. I am looking at America's Top 120+, which would include the RSNs, but not MSNBC, which is sort of annoying (MSNBC is usually part of regular old expanded basic cable). I'd gladly trade FOX News for MSNBC if they'd let me. ;) So I have to sort of mull whether there is any way I can pull off keeping the 200 after the promotional rate expires, but it's not looking likely.

Anyhow, other sports channels I like include ESPN, ESPN2, NFL Network, Versus, ESPNU, NHL Network, NBA Network, ESPNews, CBS College Sports, and ESPN Classic (In that order, really -- wouldn't mind MLB Network either, though I know it's not available on any tier). Right now at the AT 200, I think I get everything except Versus (Something that can be aggravating to have missing for a hockey fan, but it is what it is) and ESPN Classic. If I have to drop down to AT120+, I'll be missing basically everything after "ESPN2", but I should be able to deal with it (Cause, you know, I'll have to).

One thing that's sort of tangentially related is that it'd be awfully nice to be able to swap my south-central PA over-the-air locals for the Baltimore locals, or add on the Baltimore ones. That'd help with Ravens games, primarily. The cable company offers some of the Baltimore locals in addition to the Pennsylvania ones, so I know it's something Dish *could* do, and it'd be great if they'd consider it.

One plus I can say is that Dish offers the "right" RSNs -- i.e. the Baltimore-Washington ones -- and gets all the overflow channels for both of them. The cable around here had them, but skimped on the overflow channel for one of them (In fairness, they offered a Pitsburgh and a Philly RSN as well that Dish doesn't in my area -- but I cared more about catching overflow Caps games on the overflow the cable didn't offer than sports from the two big PA cities, which aren't teams I root for.) ).

I may be wrong about sports, but I will give it a try. :)

America's Top 120+ $49.99
includes ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNews, ESPN U, Regional Sports Network(s), Fuel TV, Fox Soccer Channel

Multi-sport Package $7.00 [I think that minimum packages to sub to it are AT 120+ or Dish Latino Dos]
Includes: NFL Network, NFL RedZone, Big Ten Network (unless you are already in a Big Ten area and get it as an RSN), NBA TV, NHL Network, ESPN Classic, Fuel TV, Fox Soccer Channel and a handful of RSNs
[Source: ]NFL Network with Sports pack? [Archive] - SatelliteGuys.US

Subtotal: $56.99
So, $3 less than AT200 [You would gain ESPN Classic but lose CBS College Sports from your list. However, you would gain NFL RedZone, Big Ten Network (unless you are already in a Big Ten area and get it as an RSN), Fuel TV (since I think it is not in AT200 but in AT120+, Multisport, and AT250--makes no sense to me), Fox Soccer Channel (Again, since I think it is not in AT200 but in AT120+, Multisport, and AT250--makes no sense to me).

So, if I am right, then you would get:
Regional Sports Networks [RSNs] (in AT120+) [also in Dish Latino Dos]
ESPN (in AT 120) [also in Dish America ("HD Only" package although I think SD simulcasts are also provided--probably need an HD box)]
ESPN2 (in AT 120) [also in Dish America ("HD Only" package although I think SD simulcasts are also provided--probably need an HD box)]
NFL Network(in Multi-Sport Pack)
ESPNU
(in AT 120)
NHL Network
(in Multi-Sport Pack)
NBA Network (in Multi-Sport Pack)
ESPNews (in AT 120)
ESPN Classic (in Multi-Sport Pack)

If I am right, you would not get:
Versus (in AT 250)
CBS College Sports
(in Dish Family or/and AT 200)

Another option (if you can live without ESPN, ESPNews, ESPN U, and ESPN 2):
Dish Latino Dos (with RSNs and Fox Soccer Channel): $44.99
[If interested, please make sure to look at the Excel comparison worksheet as the Dish Latino package lineups vary from the America's Top programming--It all depends on what programming you want.]
Multi-Sports Package: $7.00
Includes: NFL Network, NFL RedZone, Big Ten Network (unless you are already in a Big Ten area and get it as an RSN), NBA TV, NHL Network, ESPN Classic, Fuel TV, Fox Soccer Channel and a handful of RSNs

Subtotal: $51.99
So, $8 less than AT200

I hope this helps. :)
Best of luck to you. I noticed that sports programming can get expensive.

Last edited:
Multi-sport Package $7.00 [I think that minimum packages to sub to it are AT 120+ or Dish Latino Dos]

Subtotal: $56.99
So, $3 less than AT200

I think probably at that point if I could afford the sports pack with AT 120+, I'd just be able to keep the AT 200, which basically has almost all the additional sports of the sports pack plus my favorite news channel and a bunch of other extra non-sports programming, when the promos expire, for very close to the same price. And if I can't afford that stuff, I'll probably have to drop to AT 120+. The sports pack really needs something to spice it up -- maybe Versus -- to make it worth considering in combo with 120+ instead of the AT 200 solo -- given that they are so close to the same price. I've got a lot of months to think about it before my promotional rates expire, by which point the specifics of the programming packages may change anyhow. It'd be nice if they could get MSNBC into AT 120+. I notice MSNBC is in their welcome pack, so it is kind of odd that it's not in AT 120+.

I hope this helps. :)
Best of luck to you. I noticed that sports programming can get expensive.

Thanks. Yeah, it can get expensive, especially on a tight budget. For a lot of folks, I know nothing we're talking about constitutes a lot of money, but for me any package at all requires some very real sacrifices in other areas of my life. It's one of the reasons I think the rate hike thing sat so poorly with me. There's always that fear that one day, one will be priced out of everything worthwhile in any given area. After having to cancel cable, which I really liked, because of rising costs, that's obviously in front of my mind these days when I think about tv.

Last edited:

922 remote less range

local channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)