rebooting reciever

remcar

Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
tennessee
I have two recievers, a dual dvr in the house and a single vip612 in my pole barn. the 612 reciever reboots randomly several times a day. the house reciever never does this. this only started to occur when my old dvr of 5 years crapped out. i have had several 612 recievers replaced and a service tech out to check it out. nothing has helped. any ideas?

612 receivers are much more "buggy" in my opinion than your other dual tuner.

1. It's in a pole barn? We've been getting some rather warm weather lately so make sure it isn't getting too hot and make sure it has plenty of ventilation around it for air circulation. If you suspect it could be getting too warm but airflow is not restricted get a fan even and aim it at the receiver.

2. As crazy as it sounds I've had a lot of issues fixed by adding a 3 prong adapter to the electrical cord. I'm talking about the kind of adapter you would use if you had older wiring that didn't have the electrical outlets with 3 prongs and had to convert it to two prongs. Even if it's a grounded new outlet, add one of those adapters.

Definitely try the 3 prong adapter trick.

Good luck!

so what your saying is to convert the reciever cord to a two prong without the ground? effectively eliminating the ground? makes sense to me! thank you. from all i have read, the ground causes more problems than anything else.

lownote2 said:
612 receivers are much more "buggy" in my opinion than your other dual tuner.

1. It's in a pole barn? We've been getting some rather warm weather lately so make sure it isn't getting too hot and make sure it has plenty of ventilation around it for air circulation. If you suspect it could be getting too warm but airflow is not restricted get a fan even and aim it at the receiver.

2. As crazy as it sounds I've had a lot of issues fixed by adding a 3 prong adapter to the electrical cord. I'm talking about the kind of adapter you would use if you had older wiring that didn't have the electrical outlets with 3 prongs and had to convert it to two prongs. Even if it's a grounded new outlet, add one of those adapters.

Definitely try the 3 prong adapter trick.

Good luck!

Can you elaborate on the removal of ground? What problems did this sol e?

redelephants,
Two of the main problems caused by a bad ground can be, the rebooting receiver like remcar is having and video distortion. There are more but these are two of the most common ones.

Just a question about the 2 prong adapter. Would the usage of a UPS with line filtering create the same outcome? We have 2-612's and we have seen that issue here. And the statement about the 612 being buggy explains alot here. I just haven't called Dish because I don't feel up to arguing with the CSR's this year,last year was enough.

I do not know a lot about UPS's but if you are having the same issues and don't feel like calling in shoot me a PM with your account number or phone number so I can pull up your account. If your receivers are still having this issue.

ZachS@DISH Network said:
redelephants,
Two of the main problems caused by a bad ground can be, the rebooting receiver like remcar is having and video distortion. There are more but these are two of the most common ones.

What kind of video distortion?

SaltiDawg said:
If you plug in a 3 prong adapter and do not connect the pigtail to the box, it will have no effect on the two prong plug on the receiver.

If you plug in a 3 prong adapter and do connect the pigtail to the box it still will have no effect on the two prong plug on the receiver.

In both cases the two prongs on the receiver are simply connected to the hot and neutral connections on the receptacle and the ground on the adapter is not connected to the receiver.

I understand what the adapter is doing, was just curious what impact the ground would have on rebooting or video distortion of the receiver.

the ground could be introducing noise into the receiver. depending on how bad it is, the recevier could be trying to interpert it as commands or ethernet signals and getting very confused.

pabeader said:
the ground could be introducing noise into the receiver. depending on how bad it is, the recevier could be trying to interpert it as commands or ethernet signals and getting very confused.

I thought digital signals could not be distorted that you either have signal or not. I remember line noise in analog signals but have never seen line noise in digital signals.

can analog/line noise 'look' like digital signal?
If there are spikes yes it can. IIRC peak is on & dip is off. So that would look enuff like 1's & 0's to make it look like data. Bad caps in a power supply can do that same thing with jagged peaks and dips being misinterpreted as digital signals too.

If there are spikes yes it can. IIRC peak is on & dip is off. So that would look enuff like 1's & 0's to make it look like data. Bad caps in a power supply can do that same thing with jagged peaks and dips being misinterpreted as digital signals too.
I don't think so. An analog "peak" would likely be as "wide" (take up as much time) as literally thousands of "1s".

I do not know a lot about UPS's but if you are having the same issues and don't feel like calling in shoot me a PM with your account number or phone number so I can pull up your account. If your receivers are still having this issue.

Why I asked about the UPS is because I had to deal with GM and Chrysler and their dealer computer systems. Chrysler was real picky on their PC's having a dedicated circuit and having an UPS not only for a power outage but for line cleaning purposes. Also could not have anything near the PC with motors like a soda machine,air compressor, air conditioners, etc. Just wondering if Echostar equipment are that sensitive.
Thank you for the offer to help. The rebooting issue is one of a handful we have here with the 612's. But I need to wait for any possible resolution being the household income(I now pay Dish 14% of total income per month) has dropped 64% and I can't afford repairs nor am I going to sign any long term agreements. I've been with Dish since 1998 but that wasn't even enough to get the HD Free for Life, my free was $99.00. They even tried to charge us for the HD equipment upgrade, I had to read the letter sent to us stating any equipment to achieve this needed upgrade would be free of charge. And that turned into a mess. It is the secondary reason I don't really want to go through a fight again with Dish.
I'm going to try the 3 to 2 ac adapter. If it clears any of the problems up I will post it.

Missing HD Channels

ESPN 3