Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
Ok,,,This one is really dumb...

Have been giving my dedicated setup the install eyeball as the weather clears.

The Winegard Mount for their 31" dish has a bent post as part of the mount. I can't see how one could mount it on the side of the house this way...seems as though the Mount is for roof surfaces only and the instructions give no clue?

I suppose I could go on the roof but I had a great location on the side of the house for this addition!:D
TIA
Jeff

Jeff,
Not a dumb question at all.
I have a fortec dish with a universal mount. It sounds similar. I don't know if this applies to you, but there are three different configurations (for mine) shown as thumbnails on the top right hand side of this page at Sadouns:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Dishes/wpeA.jpg
I think that you have to turn the two flat brackets opposite of what they would be for a roof mount.
Good luck.

By the way, mine doesn't have the ring numbered 25 - brackets just bolt to the the main post.

Last edited:
Soudan's page moved?

123tim said:
Jeff,
Not a dumb question at all.
I have a fortec dish with a universal mount. It sounds similar. I don't know if this applies to you, but there are three different configurations (for mine) shown as thumbnails on the top right hand side of this page at Sadouns:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Dishes/wpeA.jpg
I think that you have to turn the two flat brackets opposite of what they would be for a roof mount.
Good luck.

Ok, I see how it sets up but it seems to be a bit flimsy for the type of winds we get here!

I am using both bolts and it still seems as though this mount is better suited to a roof than a wall! Put the level on the bend to get an approximate position for the arm and it will work though.

I expected a little more Documentation from winegard and when I am finished, will probably drill an addditional hole in the post and mount, to lock the vertical position in properly.

Also the hardware lock nuts will "cut" into the paint on the tube, making a great spot for rust to form! Already a mark from where the factory set it for shipping! Will have to find some touch up paint for a new dish....not a great setup so far!
Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff,

I thought it was pretty flimsy too. I even started a thread about it (Pretty boring):
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=48171
Mine is rusting after a month. I bought paint, but it's so cold outside that I didn't apply any yet.
Funny thing - We get high winds too, but I haven't noticed any problems yet.

I'm not much of an expert on Satellite reception, but I am a qualified EXPERT on what makes a roof leak. (I'm NOT an expert on getting leaks stopped.) Our roof has been leaking for quite a while (for several reasons). I personally don't think that I'd ever mount a bracket like mine on my roof.

Take care.
Tim

Last edited:
Thanks Tim

123tim said:
Jeff,
I thought it was pretty flimsy too. I even started a thread about it (Pretty boring):
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=48171
Mine is rusting after a month. I bought paint, but it's so cold outside that I didn't apply any yet.
Funny thing - We get high winds too, but I haven't noticed any problems yet.
I'm not much of an expert on Satellite reception, but I am a qualified EXPERT on what makes a roof leak. (I'm NOT an expert on getting leaks stopped.) Our roof has been leaking for quite a while (for several reasons). I personally don't think that I'd ever mount a bracket like mine on my roof.
Take care.
Tim

if I were to roof mt....it would onlyt be mounted on the part that overhangs the dwelling itself...not that brave!

I would try flashing and roof BLACK tarr stuff that you put shingles down with if going anywhere else...In fact i would probablt remove a shingle and add the mount, then shingle over it!...still don't trust my roofing skills!

I will use silicone on the holes I drill on the side of the house no matter what!
Jeff

WAY back before I had discovered non-penetrating roof mounts, I mounted an 18" dish on the flat roof of my shed using the supplied mounting hardware. I used long wood bolts, and applied a thick, nasty brown compound I purchased at Home Depot to seal roofing. Used PLENTY of it under the "shoe" of the mount, and when I tightened down the mount, it oozed out from all sides. Thus I know I have a great seal there. A few years later, I took the 18" down, but left the mounting "shoe" for it there. I didn't want to START a roof leak by removing it. My 1 meter Channel Master now sits on an NPRM which occupies that space, but the "shoe" is still bolted into the roof in the middle space of the NPRM.

It never has leaked...

Smart way to go!

Tron said:
WAY back before I had discovered non-penetrating roof mounts, I mounted an 18" dish on the flat roof of my shed using the supplied mounting hardware. I used long wood bolts, and applied a thick, nasty brown compound I purchased at Home Depot to seal roofing. Used PLENTY of it under the "shoe" of the mount, and when I tightened down the mount, it oozed out from all sides. Thus I know I have a great seal there. A few years later, I took the 18" down, but left the mounting "shoe" for it there. I didn't want to START a roof leak by removing it. My 1 meter Channel Master now sits on an NPRM which occupies that space, but the "shoe" is still bolted into the roof in the middle space of the NPRM.
It never has leaked...

Yep, Roofs are a bear when they leak...I agree and the few times I have fooled around replacing shingles, I wound up with more Blackjack tar on me than on the roof! No leaks though! Wish I had a spot for a non penetrating mount though!

I have been reading a few disturbing reports about USALS on my Viewsat Extreme and since it is working fine on my BUD am going to wait until I ebay the extreme and pick up the next latest and greatest before i put up a dedicated dish (all the stuff is here waiting) maybe I will run the wiring inside for it so that when spring comes, it will be 3/4 done!
regards
jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Advice: Traxis 2500 vs Coolsat 5000

Running new Coax...need advice plz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)