RCN forces cable boxes on customers!

emtpud

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Boston
Last week in Boston area,RCN suddenly went all digital and changed their channel line-up. Basic is still 2-27 but the rest jump to 107 up. This forces even basic subs to lease a $4.oomo. digital box. + no real advance notice. I was under the impression that Cable Operators and the U.S. Government had an agreement that would allow subs to continue to just 'screw-in' their cable to tv for at least 3 years after the digital transition w/o the need of a box? BTW the digital boxes are junk! Any body have any further thoughts/info on this? Paul :mad:

I could only hope my cable provider does the same thing. Imagine all the free bandwidth if that happens :)

Sucks the way RCN did it though

RCN NY Forces cable boxes also

I was ALSO in the understanding that if I had an analog cable that I could just plug in and it would work.

So yesterday, they went digital which required a box for each TV. However, a to have a second box would cost a $6 a month fee. ($72 a year!!) This is ***** BULLHONKY. I didn't request they go to digital and they should supply enough of these cheap $2 chinese digital boxes.

What's worse..is that the channel line up blows for basic users. It used to be all basic channels were grouped together 1-100. And all other subscriptions or larger packages were 200+. They started awhile back removing channels from the basic lineup such as IFC and some other great channels..making it suckier for basic subscribers. I guess in motivation to irritate customers into buying a larger package to get more out of us.

So now, I have to scan through 300 channels with no indication of which channels are viewable for my package. PLUS the "Favorites" and "Skipped" channel functions don't work so I cannot manipulate the menu function to remove the channels I don't get. It takes the whole fun out of surfing when you hit a channel 2, 3 4 5 times and it's a channel you are not allowed to view. I'm starting to wonder what's the point of having cable at all?

I wish RCN would get their ACT together and stop trying to manipulate their clients to dish out more money. We aren't making any more money in this country so give us a break!

I should just see what Time Warner is doing, get rid of RCN and "up" my Netflix account. It's not worth the frustration anymore.

By the way, has anyone opened one of these boxes to see if there are any input devices? Maybe the push to digital was to be able to Tap every American's home. It wouldn't surprise me now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The move to all digital is to free up bandwidth. Its simple as that. Its not a scheme to rob you.
I disagree.

The cable companies cut off analog channels and don't lower the cable bill, while requiring the customer to pay for a digital cable box to view the channels that were just taken away from analog cable.

I would call that robbery.

If there was no need for bandwidth they wouldnt be taking off their analog tier. Afterall that is a big selling point for cable, not requireing customers to have a box.. But in order to compete they need the bandwidth and must begin to give up that advantage.

Insight 4.0 hit Evansville Today

U-Verse Pair Bonding slips again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)