Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
I stopped in at a Rat Shack in Erie to return something on Sunday. :eek:

We were talking satellite TV and I even mentioned the ole BUD and some of what is up there on C and Ku band. He finished up the return and I then noticed that they still had the lithium battery replacement like I bought quite a while ago for my 4DTV receiver. I was excited and told him that I will be back for one of those batteries for a another C band receiver. It was only moments earlier that we were talking satellite TV and he seemed familiar with C band. His reply was, "I did not know that you could pick up that much from the few ships in the area!" I think he thought I was saying "sea band"!!!... :rolleyes:

Did he try and sell you a cell phone? I go in to buy a couple parts from the parts bin and the clerk always asks "who is your cell phone provider and how long have you had your cell phone."
mikelib

I'm usually a friendly, cordial person when I'm in a store. I know people have a job and don't always get a good pay to be around people who can be annoying and demanding. They deserve some respect and patience.

That usually slows down when they start swarming around and offering upsells, and Radio Shack was always one of the worst. I don't want a cell phone, HD Radio (UGH what a mistake that was!), DirectTV, batteries, or warranties.

Of course, none of this applies to locally owned Rat Shack franchises. I've always had far better experiences with them, and they're always more eager to help instead of sell.

Did he try and sell you a cell phone? I go in to buy a couple parts from the parts bin and the clerk always asks "who is your cell phone provider and how long have you had your cell phone."
mikelib

No he did not! I got out of there unscathed! :D

He was more interested in entertaining 2 female co-workers!!! ;)

I'm usually a friendly, cordial person when I'm in a store. I know people have a job and don't always get a good pay to be around people who can be annoying and demanding. They deserve some respect and patience.
yep...when they leave me alone :)

That usually slows down when they start swarming around and offering upsells, and Radio Shack was always one of the worst. I don't want a cell phone, HD Radio (UGH what a mistake that was!), DirectTV, batteries, or warranties.
I've got a HD radio....not from there ;) Its not bad but then I mainly listen to the classic country station on KQRS-DT2 ;)

Of course, none of this applies to locally owned Rat Shack franchises. I've always had far better experiences with them, and they're always more eager to help instead of sell.
agreed! by the cabin we have 2 of them within 1/2 hour (main one in Brainerd) and those guys are cool

My assumption is that Rat Shack stays in business because of smaller-town franchises that are locally owned. My sister's got one up by her in Ely, and she thinks they're great.

Still, all of them sell VCRs for $50+ today. I don't get that. Cables are usually on the lower-price range, from what I can tell.

on a side note, I was going to look for a new tripod or at least a new mast for my antenna setup. So I checked Rat Shack's prices. I figured a 5 foot mast would be less than 10 and the tripod maybe 25 (when I sold them back in 97 it was 8 bucks for the mast and 20 for the tripod

16.99 for a 5 foot mast :eek:
25.99 for a 10 foot
34.99 for the tripod :eek:

I guess I'll work with what I have now (rusted bolts and all)...good lord I paid $25 for a 5 foot mast and a tripod at fleet farm last summer...but thats a 1/2 hour or so away so I wanted something close.

I've been plugged into the chain through a 20-year friendship with a local manager.
Corporate has been trying hard to make 'em Best Buy or something else that they are not, for the last 5 - 8 years.
Lot of the good parts they used to carry (for cheap) just aren't a priority any more, in a non-technical society.
Only time I ever see a cool satellite part, or decent OTA antenna there, is when he's cleaning out his back room.

His is the first store I ever found where you could get excellent help from the manager, and very good help from the rest of the staff.
He trains 'em very well.
But, corporate has its priorities. :(
As we left for lunch yesterday, he turned to the 21 year old girl and said, "I really need you to sell a couple of cell phones while I'm gone".
I'm sure the same words were spoken in the other half-dozen stores within a 5 mile radius.
Talk about over-crowding! ;)

Divorce has kept them in business. I have serviced many estranged Minnesota Valley cougars. When I worked there ('86-'90) I drew up a whole illustrated book of "how to connect all your stuff". Wish I would have sold them instead of giving the sheets away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help Which Equipment do i need to watch TURKSAT

SCETV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)