R U Kiddin Me ?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I can not believe that there is no more p282!!!! I am still on p281 which seems to be getting worse! I have exactly a 30 minute guide. That's right 30 minutes!!! I can reset and get a few hours but then after about 10 minutes it goes back to 30 minutes.

Now I am reading that there is a p283 coming out -- what??? I am about to go postal on E*. Is there anyone out there who really knows just what the heck is going on? :confused:

JoeSp said:
I can not believe that there is no more p282!!!! I am still on p281 which seems to be getting worse! I have exactly a 30 minute guide. That's right 30 minutes!!! I can reset and get a few hours but then after about 10 minutes it goes back to 30 minutes.

Now I am reading that there is a p283 coming out -- what??? I am about to go postal on E*. Is there anyone out there who really knows just what the heck is going on? :confused:

There was issues with P282 that caused a lot of people a lot of customer Pain. 282 was stopped and they are releasing 283 that backs out some of the fixes that was causing the issues. P282 did not cause everyone griff but it did effect enough people to cause a stop in its rollout.

As for 283, the question is are we going mainly back to 281 in terms of the BSOD issue or is this some high bread. No need to go Postal, Dish did the right thing by stopping 282 and 283 was due out yesterday.

Is Dish working with differant 811 chip sets? How can some of the people be affected and others not if the chip sets in the 811s are all the same? I sure am confused as to what Dish is doing. If we all have the same equipment why do we all not have the same symptoms? :confused:

I turned my auto software updates off!!! I will be no guniea pig!!! I am on my second 811 and the first was horrible this new one is awsome it hasnt gave me BSOD once and i have had it almost 3 weeks. There are small bugs like sometimes if i hit the guide it comes on but then pops and goes away?? Also most of the time i have 30 minutes of guide info but the last two days ive had like 36 hours or more ?? :eek: I did notice one other bug wich i wanna warn others about my sister shut the reciever off while playing some music only channel and when i turned it on again it played the music but when i tried any regular sat channels i got a black screen only but different than the regular flashin BSOD?? So i wouldnt shut it off playing a music channel anymore.

JoeSp said:
Is Dish working with different 811 chip sets? How can some of the people be affected and others not if the chip sets in the 811s are all the same? I sure am confused as to what Dish is doing. If we all have the same equipment why do we all not have the same symptoms?
You won't get an official answer about the chipset question, but I will say there is more than one hardware revision and more than one boot strap version. In the world of Consumer Electronics, ECO's happen (Engineering Change Order). And so does alternate suppliers and design improvements. There are many reasons for dual sourcing components; allocation issues, lead-time issues, and of course the ever so important supplier leverage. A short time ago Echostar announced switching to ST Micro for it's uP's (microprocessors) and power semiconductors (the ST Viper platform provides a lot of switch mode flexibility). But anybody that thinks designs are the same from start to end of product life isn't thinking in terms of cost reductions and hardware debugging.

Jason

mdonnelly said:
Or maybe not. Wonder if someone got mixed up with the 311 firmware release. :confused:
No, no one mixed up the updates. I was given very good and credible reasons for this happening...but I have been asked not to disclose that information.

Regards,
Jason

nippjas said:
You won't get an official answer about the chipset question, but I will say there is more than one hardware revision and more than one boot strap version. It the world of Consumer Electronics ECO's happen (Engineering Change Order), so do alternate suppliers, and design improvements. There are many reason's for dual sourcing components, allocation issues, lead-time issues, and of course the ever so important supplier leverage. A short time ago Echostar announced switching to ST Micro for it's uP's (MicroProcessors) and power semiconductors (the ST Viper platform prvides alot of switch mode flexibility. But anybody that thinks designs are the same from start to end of product life isn't thinking in terms of cost reductions and hardware debugging.

Jason

Cost reductions being the biggest. This happens all the time in the world a Live in. There is also usually two supply sources for the components from my understanding. But then again that is a hardward problem. ;)

nippjas said:
You won't get an official answer about the chipset question, but I will say there is more than one hardware revision and more than one boot strap version. In the world of Consumer Electronics, ECO's happen (Engineering Change Order). And so does alternate suppliers and design improvements. There are many reasons for dual sourcing components; allocation issues, lead-time issues, and of course the ever so important supplier leverage. A short time ago Echostar announced switching to ST Micro for it's uP's (microprocessors) and power semiconductors (the ST Viper platform provides a lot of switch mode flexibility). But anybody that thinks designs are the same from start to end of product life isn't thinking in terms of cost reductions and hardware debugging.

Jason
In English, por favor???

Tom in TX said:
You won't get an official answer about the chipset question, but I will say there is more than one hardware revision and more than one boot strap version. It the world of Consumer Electronics ECO's happen (Engineering Change Order), so do alternate suppliers, and design improvements. There are many reason's for dual sourcing components, allocation issues, lead-time issues, and of course the ever so important supplier leverage. A short time ago Echostar announced switching to ST Micro for it's uP's (MicroProcessors) and power semiconductors (the ST Viper platform prvides alot of switch mode flexibility. But anybody that thinks designs are the same from start to end of product life isn't thinking in terms of cost reductions and hardware debugging.

In English, por favor???

Not all hardware is created equal even given the exact same Model number.

nippjas said:

Jason
Tom in TX said:
In English, por favor???
Usted no obtendrá una respuesta oficial acerca de la pregunta de chipset, pero diré hay más de una revisión de hardware y más de una versión de correa de bota. En el mundo de la Electrónica de consumo, el ECO sucede (Dirigiendo el Orden de cambio). Y así que alterna las mejoras de suministradores y diseño. Hay muchas razones para componentes dobles de sourcing; los asuntos de la asignación, el plazo de espera publica, y por supuesto el apalancamiento jamás tan importante de suministrador. Un tiempo corto hace Echostar anunció que la conmutación a SAN Micro para lo está aRRIBA (microprocesadores) y semiconductores de poder (la SAN plataforma de Víbora proporciona mucha flexibilidad del modo de interruptor). Pero cualquiera que piensa que los diseños son el mismo del comienzo de terminar de la vida del producto no piensa en términos de reducciones de costo y depuración de hardware.

Jason

Or

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Echostar ???????? Micro ? uP ??????????????? Viper ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

??

Tom in TX said:

In English, por favor???
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Echostar ???????? Micro ? uP ??MicroProcessors????????? Viper ?????????? prvides alot??????????????????????????????????????????

Scott Greczkowski said:
Got Australian? :)
AAAHHH...Looka at dat Beaut! One bite from this MONSTA and I'd be dead for sure! Whad a Beaut!

Sorry Scott, Does Steve Irwin come close enough to Aussie? :rolleyes:

It's Greek to me.... ;)

Won't ???????? ??? ??????? ???????? ??? ??? ??????? chipset, ???? ?? ?? ??? ???????? ???????????? ??? ??? ???????????? ?????? ??? ???????????? ??? ??? ???????? ??????? ??????. ???? ????? ??? ???????????? ????? ??????? ???????????, ECO's ?????????? (??????? ??????? ???????????? ?????????). ??? ???? ?????????? ???? ??????????? ??? ??? ?????????? ???????. ???????? ?????? ????? ??? ?? ????? ??????? ????????? ???????? ?????????, ???????? ???????? ??????, ??? ?????? ? ????? ???? ????????? ?????? ???????????. ???? ??????? ????? ???? Echostar ????????? ?? ????????? ??? ??????????????? ??? ST ??? it's uP's (?????????????????) ??? ???? ?????????? ??????? (? ????????? ????? ??? ST ??????? ????? ???????? ?????? ?????????). ???? ?????? ?????? ??? ????????? ?? ?????? ????? ? ????? ??? ??? ?????? ??? ????? ??? ???? isn't ????????? ??????????? ??? ??? ????? ??? ???????? ??????? ??? ??? ????????? ??????.

You guys are a riot! It amazes me with all the downloads from E* that for one reason or another go south how you keep your humor.

I am very familar with product changes in a product's life cycle. However, there seems to be something else afoot here with the 811s. I am beginning to believe that E* is trying to do too much with the 811 and that there might not be enough memory to enable all the functions that the 811 is capable of all the time.

This would partially explain why one thing gets fixed and then something working goes bust. In reading several posts on problems with the 811 I find that the more functions in series that one performs the bigger chance that something will go wrong.

It is also posible that the 811 is too advanced and difficult to program and maintain. This has happened in the past with some products --- the B58 Hustler ( a bomber) was the most advanced computerized product at the time but was grounded because everytime they would initialize a new feature they would have problems with maintaining system readiness with the systems that had been working. It got to be too big of a job and the USAF ended up grounding the B58. That bomber stills holds several load/speed records for a bomber and it was grounded in the late fifties. I believe the 811 might just be such an animal and we who own them will probably be getting something differant from E* in the next 18 months.

921 skip ahead time

Will Dish get Altitude in HD? (Comcast does!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)