Quick tip for do it your selfers on aiming dishes

satcomm@live.com

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
NW ohio
Dish network receivers arent meant for tuning there meant for checking signal. Alot of the time you will pass a good signal before it will even show up on screen. Now before some one gets a big stick and tries to hit me i will say it can still be done but you have to be very very slow, just remember your aming 2ft of metal thats 23000 miles away from something thats the size of a dinner plate. So stop being cheap and buy a cheap meter.

I setup at tailgates every weekend in the fall using only the dish receiver and have never had any issue with that method at all. But you are correct slow minor adjustments are key.

I have used my Dish receiver several times to both change satellites and to peak the dish.

I do not find them slow to respond to signal changes and are entirely satisfactory for both aiming and peaking.

While patience is required, it is not a difficult job to aim the dish with a receiver, make very small changes, just like I would with a meter.

Dish network receivers arent meant for tuning there meant for checking signal. Alot of the time you will pass a good signal before it will even show up on screen. Now before some one gets a big stick and tries to hit me i will say it can still be done but you have to be very very slow, just remember your aming 2ft of metal thats 23000 miles away from something thats the size of a dinner plate. So stop being cheap and buy a cheap meter.

I've seen virtually the identical post by another person. Parroting that person does not make it more credible.

Stating, " aming (sic) 2ft of metal thats (sic) 23000 miles away from something thats (sic) the size of a dinner plate" shows a failure to consider the beam-widths associated with both the receiver and the transmitter. Many of us have successfully been able to do what your post suggests is near impossible. lol :rolleyes:

I had no trouble aiming my 500 on a tripod, years ago. From what I hear, aiming a 1000.4 is FAR more difficult. There is a (small) chance that I might put up a 1000.4 where I camp, but I think if I do I'll find it worth my while to pay an installer to do it.

I had no trouble aiming my 500 on a tripod, years ago. From what I hear, aiming a 1000.4 is FAR more difficult. There is a (small) chance that I might put up a 1000.4 where I camp, but I think if I do I'll find it worth my while to pay an installer to do it.
I had done my original installs myself many years ago. Recently I went to a 1000.4 and Eastern Arc in order to be able to getall HD avialble on my package. (BBC HD, etc.) I did use an installer. He took about ten minutes to align and peak the antenna. I think that for me due to my age and two artificial knees that the $15 was a good choice. :) (Actually the $15 was waived.)

I'll never understand people that think that using a cheap meter is better than a receiver. A cheap meter won't tell you what satellite you're pointed at. A meter that WILL tell you is as expensive as a receiver and a portable TV.

I have never used a 1000.4 but I wouldn't think it is any harder than a 1000.2 (which is what I use tailgating) - and that isn't hard at all.

Have been using a Dish 500 on a tripod for years. When camping in a 5th wheel it's not always convenient to set the dish near a window you can see the the tv from while aiming the dish. The cheap meter was a good investment for me. This winter I will be trying my luck with a 1000.2.

Im not sure if anyone remembers the problems dish had with the 1000.4 when it came out, it would never tune in, lots of locals had the blue screen, and the only way to tune it in was with my trusty super buddy.

722k - 'partial signal loss'

129 line of site

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)