Questions regarding AMC-2 and AMC-15

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
The output of AMC-2 is listed as 60watts on americoms website. AMC-15 is listed at 140watts. Will this increase in power allow the use of smaller dishes to receive the signal coming from this location? Just for fun I pointed a channel master 1 meter dish at AMC-2, and was getting decent signal readings (60-70). Anyone have past experience with a high powered Ku satellite (140watts, etc)? What size dish was required?

About 30" will be the smallest that can work it is not just the strength of the satellite that affects the size. The FSS satellites are spaced 2 degrees apart so rejection of adjacent satellites is important so the important digital information isn't compromised.

30" is the smallest you canuse for KU band

I know people in Canada can use a 24" for StarChoice, because the adjacent satellites don't reach there very well :)

And of course you do NOT want to reduce the size of an already installed dish - 'cause no matter what other factors there are (as mentioned above), rain fade can still be an issue - and a bigger dish size is about the only way to minimize that.

hahaha, i knew the fugly comment would rile some BUDers :)

I dont think I even have 3 meters to put a dish in my yard!!

Dish'es are soo beautiful though, If I had my own place I would have a whole front lawn full of them!!!! :) It would be like a cable tv headend only cooler :-D

mattb said:
Dish'es are soo beautiful though, If I had my own place I would have a whole front lawn full of them!!!! :) It would be like a cable tv headend only cooler :-D
You mean like this? :D It's my neighbor's front yard.

Attachments

• Dish Garden.jpg
    Dish Garden.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 234
Could be - or DirecWay - they look pretty similar.

Upon further investigation, tho, I'll go with Starband because the LNB cover & transmitter look different than my DirecWay (attached).

Attachments

• Dish-1.JPG
    Dish-1.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 200
Yeah - that's my conclusion - and both 500's are DishPro. The single could be a ot of things - except it looks like it's pointed at 101.

The big thing to notice is TWO Dish 500's - I'll bet there's NO external switches! It's a good solution when you don't mind the extra dish (and he obviously doesn't ;)).

Not totally sure, but definitely over round the 130's - which is where the Denver 5 used to lvie - probably still do - on C-1 I think. Considering we're in the Colorado Springs DMA (KRDO (ABC) SUCKS) he might keep that puppy hot to get the Denver feeds. I don't remember ever seeing that dish pointed elsewhere.

I could get a pic of a very forlorn old BUD that hasn't been used in many years - saplings have grown around it! It's below grade level, so the snow plow dumps right on it, too. I think it was there before the road was put in 20 years ago. :D

Had the denver 5, that was my STNG connection (when I missed the wild feed on saturday) Kwgn....As for Icebergs post, about the 30" dish my old 10' fiberglass did good to get Ku :D my 8' mesh did a little better....of course Imy lnbs are at least 12 years old. When my 10' was in its prime I could get the anik and morelos sats pretty good...on c-band

Separator to 811/508?

Rain fade signal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)