Questions Re: Cost, Channel Availability, etc..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
How much could one expect to pay for a basic free-to-air system with a smaller end dish (size wise), receiver, wiring, and whatever else one would need to get going? Are there installers who do this sort of thing (And, if so, how much do they usually charge)?

What kind of channels could one expect to get? Are regional sports networks and ESPN and the like possibilities? What about cable news like MSNBC, CNN, BBC World, etc.? Network affiliates? Are the list of channels something you can count on being there? Or do channels frequently encrypt, switch frequencies unannounced, etc.?

Someone mentioned FTA in the Dish Network forum and I thought I'd investigate. I suspect I can't afford the setup and that it wouldn't really meet my expectations for television (Which is relevant if I am paying for equipment and set up -- if they were no costs, I'd be happy with anything!). Plus, I have reservations about installing something like that in a place I don't own. But I could definitely do without a monthly television bill! :) So, I thought it was worth asking about.

Last edited:
Hanoverpretzel,

You won't want to replace your DishNetwork subscription with FTA, because of the channel selection. You can see most of what is available by browsing SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - TheList

FTA is more of hobby. There are many interesting channels and personally it is all I watch, but anyone who is used to Dish or Direct etc would probably be disappointed in the selection.

Cost-wise for a complete Ku band system, you could get set up for as little as $100 - $200 if you are a good scrounger (which most of us in the hobby are) and go up from there. A high dollar complete (store purchased) Ku band system would probably run $650 - $850. That would include a receiver, dish, motor, LNBF, cable, miscellaneous materials and tools and possibly a HDD for recording. Pretty much the whole ball of wax except the TV.

If you were to set up a Ku band system, you could install it in a manner that would allow you to take it with you if you move. Not so easily done with a C-Band system.

If you were to go with C-Band, you will get many more channels, but you will need to add some further expenses for the dish and installation materials (concrete) and a dish mover like a G-Box or V-Box. I would say add $200 for sure and then go up from there. Again, it all depends upon your scrounging ability. That's the real key to this FTA hobby. We're usually piecing together other peoples unwanted, used equipment and junk. That doesn't mean that it has to look like "junk", some equipment looks brand new and sometimes it is. If you like garage sales and salvage shops and you like tinkering with electronics and computers and mechanics, then you'd like this hobby.

Television viewing is not the ultimate goal here. It is the fun you have in learning what you can do for hopefully next to nothing. Then, you catch the satellite bug and start collecting and buying more stuff to play with! :) That's where you start wrapping up money in your hobby.

RADAR

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate you being upfront with me that it's more of a hobby than a way to watch television. Sounds like it's not for me, but it was worth touching base with the forum to find out.

If you like college sports than a FTA system would be a good investment. Pro not so much as they use fibre from the stadium

I mainly use mine for sports feeds and it ROCKS!
on a typical Saturday I can see 40-50 college football games if I want. Everything from the "big game" that is on CBS (CSS usually has their own feed) all the way down to D3 or NAIA small college games. College basketball is the same way. I love it for college hockey

Pro sports are here and there but its great for pre-season games. Saw lots of MLB games and (if there is a football season) pre-season NFL games

Just to add to Iceberg's comments, there is some channels on Galaxy 16 - 99.0W on C Band that carry pro Basketball in HD. And there is another Analog channel on 99.0W that carries Sunday Night and Monday night NFL Football.

Hanoverpretzel,

Since you are already a SatelliteGuys member, drop in to this section once in a while to keep informed and keep your eyes and ears open for deals on equipment around your location. If you find a super deal, you might eventually like to get involved if the price is right. Always good to keep your options open.

RADAR

Ya might take a look at this thread for some encouragement:
What I love about FTA !
It's not the only thread of its kind, but it's new and representative.

The best thing about the forum, is how people help each other to succeed.
The lady who started that thread was without satellite reception about a year ago.
She found some small commercial Ku dishes and parts her ex husband had ferreted away but never installed.
We encouraged her to drag 'em out and take pictures.
Then, we pointed to the best she had, and taught her how to install and align them.
Now, she's got a sweet little farm of Ku dishes out back, that we'd all be proud to call our own!

After being in the hobby for a while, she learned that some programming she wanted would need a C-band BUD.
Just in the last month, she had two holes dug out back, and 10' poles installed!
Already, a 6' dish is yielding results.

And this is a lady with a bad back and minimal tools.
(though, she's not as helpless not technically challenged as she puts on! ) - ;)

So, if you have the time, a nice installation can be built up for little money.
If you have concerns, we have solutions. The biggest problem is knowing what to ask. :)

Hi. I'm new to the satellite dish world. I have sitting on top of the roof two satellite dishes. One says Direct TV Slimline and the other says Direct TV WorldDirect. I also have an Openbox S9 HD PVR receiver. I live in Tampa Bay, Florida. My question is if it's possible to get FTA channels and how to get it with this setup, or do I have to invest on a new Satellite dish?
Thanks in advanced,

Paul

I have sitting on top of the roof two satellite dishes.
One says Direct TV Slimline and the other says Direct TV WorldDirect.
I also have an Openbox S9 HD PVR receiver.
I live in Tampa Bay, Florida.
It's been a while, but I believe that World Direct has a proper Standard linear LNB on it, stock.
I'd aim the dish to 30°w (or any of the satellites others here will recommend), and get to cookin'! ;)
Use the center-mounted LNB, and set your receivers LO to 10750.

edit:
36 x 24 inches should do a fine job.
More and better pictures on Sadoun's site.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sg-2100 elevation adjustment problems

Gold Coaxial connectors and signal loss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)