Question re: s/pdif digital audio output

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jonc

Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
I see that several FTA receivers have s/pdif digital audio outputs. I have read in some of the reviews here that they output dolby digital (AC3) when tuned to a feed that has AC3 audio (like some of the PBS feeds).

My question is this: Is there any digital output from these jacks when the receiver is tuned to a standard (non-AC3) FTA transmission? I would love to get a straight PCM audio output when there isn't any AC3 audio present.

For example, in the Coolsat review thread, it is mentioned that the receiver has a coaxial digital audio output but doesn't pass AC3. Does it ever put out anything from this output? If not, what is it for?

The Pansat 2500A does output AC3 when present, and PCM 48kHz otherwise. On the AC3 side, I have yet to come across anything other than Dolby Digital 2.0.

jonc said:
For example, in the Coolsat review thread, it is mentioned that the receiver has a coaxial digital audio output but doesn't pass AC3. Does it ever put out anything from this output? If not, what is it for?

The Coolsat does output regular audio but not AC-3

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in purchasing an FTA receiver, and am wondering if the Pansat 3500s also puts out PCM when tuned into a standard FTA feed (i.e., one without an AC3 audio stream). Also, from reading the reviews, it seems as though the 3500s is the one to get - any opinions?

3500 is "big pimpin" :D

The 3500 does output regular audio on the non AC-3 channels. I have one and its great

Are we positive the Coolsat 4000 Pro does not have AC-3 audio from it's output? I am wanting to buy a new surround sound system with digital inputs, but if the Coolsat will not output audio on the PBS and other stations it will not be worth it until I get a replacement receiver.

PopcornNMore said:
Are we positive the Coolsat 4000 Pro does not have AC-3 audio from it's output? I am wanting to buy a new surround sound system with digital inputs, but if the Coolsat will not output audio on the PBS and other stations it will not be worth it until I get a replacement receiver.
Mine definately does not :(.

Shawn

Do what I did-bite the bullet and order a Pansat 3500. Then you can get a new audio system! :D

PopcornNMore said:

My receiver budget is gone for at least a couple of months after the little buying spree I just had with pro receivers. But at least I can now do 4:2:2...

That will keep me happy until the inevitable price drop on the Pansat 3500s. I just wish I'd held out on a receiver until the 3500 came out instead of getting the Pansat 2700...

Tron said:
I just wish I'd held out on a receiver until the 3500 came out instead of getting the Pansat 2700...
The way I look at it, we'll always be saying that...
someone in 6 months said:
I just wish I'd held out on a receiver until the 4500 came out instead of getting the Pansat 3500...
;)
Note, I just made up the "4500", but my point still holds. :)

TuxCoder said:
The way I look at it, we'll always be saying that...

;)
Note, I just made up the "4500", but my point still holds. :)

Yep, it's the cruel game the 'techno-gods' play on us...

But we'll keep playing it because new gear is so much fun!!! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Secret to catching more transponders on scans

Q: Slaving receivers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)