Question on DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsterling

Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Hi.

I am new here and a friend suggested I write in and get my answer here. I just got a HD DVR for my Direct TV system, bought it from Best Buy because it was considerably cheaper. Now for the question. I am trying to hook it up and am getting conflicting information. The tech that was out last week that I was going to have install on from Direct told me to save some money and do it myself. Actually told me how to do it. So here I am. I have one line coming down from the satellite dish into the wall into this location. I have a triple LNB dish with one line to the living room and one line to the family room. Can I put in just a multiswitch and use that to hook up to my 2 inputs on the back of the DVR or do I actually need 2 lines coming down into that location where the DVR is going into the DVR. I have a friend and that is how his is working one line down and a multiswitch.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

John

silversurfer said:
You actually need two lines going to the back of your HD DVR. I am not sure how your friends setup is working properly.

your friends setup is likely not working properly but the DVR hasnt caught on... it thinks its on the right channel when its not.

I was afraid of that, guess it means a little attic crawling. But then with summer here maybe I will just call someone to do it. :yes

It works just fine, although he is on Dish, I would think it would be the same. His has always been that way.

jsterling said:
I was afraid of that, guess it means a little attic crawling. But then with summer here maybe I will just call someone to do it. :yes

It works just fine, although he is on Dish, I would think it would be the same. His has always been that way.

see taht is an important detail... no they dont work the same way... there are a coupld of rare instances this will work this way depending on how long.

the most recent way is the good ole DPP LNB or DPP44 which allow 1 feed to be seperated back out nto 2 on 1 dual tuner receiver... Dish Pro Plus Technology...

D* is much more open source on their stuff but they dont work the same.

Thanks but when he had Direct it was setup the same way as now. It has always been one line.

I don't doubt you just wondering why and how, plus I was just reading the manual again and it says to use the multi switch from one line to send the signal out to the 2 DVR tuner inputs????????

jsterling said:
Thanks but when he had Direct it was setup the same way as now. It has always been one line.

I don't doubt you just wondering why and how, plus I was just reading the manual again and it says to use the multi switch from one line to send the signal out to the 2 DVR tuner inputs????????

I dont hav e amanual handy so i cant offer a correct translation... but in the olden days of just 101 it would work with a stacker de-stacker combo... not a multi switch.

However those are kidna cost prohibitive and if you have programming on either or the other 2 (ugh sometimes 3) it wont work right,.

EDIT: Okay it sounds like im callign you a liar... im not... sorry to sound that way.

oh I totally agree.

you know e* just started making dual tuner DVR's so I'm not suprised to hear "Dish worked" -just a passing thought as I re-read the thread.

frankly once you have two tuners... you can never settle for less! :D

riggscm said:
oh I totally agree.

you know e* just started making dual tuner DVR's so I'm not suprised to hear "Dish worked" -just a passing thought as I re-read the thread.

frankly once you have two tuners... you can never settle for less! :D
So true. We have some guests staying with us this month and I had to give up one of my inputs to the Tivo to get them their own receiver in the room. Glad I kept those old school receivers around after getting my Tivo's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anyone here from Robert at VE?

Software Update 6.2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)