Question on DVI output from Samsung HD receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elansp

Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Bergen County, NJ
All-

I have the Samsung HD receiver that I purchased a bit over a year ago with a DVI to HDMI cable going to my Sony LCD projection TV. A little over a week ago, my wife was watching something (at the time I think she was tooling around with the guide) and the screen went out. I reset the receiver a couple of times and couldn't get any video to come through the DVI to HDMI connection.

I swapped out the DVI to HDMI cable with component video and viola, I'm able to watch TV in HD again.

Can anyone advise if either the cable, DVI output on the Samsung or HDMI input on the Sony can go bad? I don't think there is a high probability of the cable going bad. The Sony TV is also only a year old. I'm also not sure of the easiest(cheapest) way to trouble shoot this....I'm under contract for another 10 months or so....

Thanks in advance,

Also, if you are under 1 yr with that Sony TV it is under warrenty (unless you got the extended), so you should call them ASAP before you pass the magic date.

Thanks for the input - already past the 1 yr warranty and already tried the master rest on the Samsung (red buton next to the card).

Actually, just took a closer look at your post - what would the RESETand FORMAT button together do?

elansp said:
Thanks for the input - already past the 1 yr warranty and already tried the master rest on the Samsung (red buton next to the card).

Actually, just took a closer look at your post - what would the RESETand FORMAT button together do?

not the reset button

but the Resolution button ;)
btw dont press them together :)

Try the "Output Mode" button on the lower right of the front panel. I believe that receiver will only output via component or DVI, not both at the same time.

If its a Sammy 360 then it sounds like your issue was with the "output mode" button on the front of the STB..

I have been fooled a few times into thinking their was a problem due to one of my kids pressing the "output mode" button when I wasnt around..

You should have had to change the output mode in order to get the component connection to work...

If it worked immediately once you switched to component then that "output mode" button was definanetly the problem....

hdtvtechno said:
isn't the output mode same as the format button on the remote ? :)

No, the format button scrolls thru the differnet screen sizes (I.E. 16x9 full; 16:9 zoom and so and so forth).

At least thats what it does when I press it on my Sammy 360 remote...

guffy1 said:
No, the format button scrolls thru the differnet screen sizes (I.E. 16x9 full; 16:9 zoom and so and so forth).

At least thats what it does when I press it on my Sammy 360 remote...

Correct, on the Sammy 160 there is a switch on the back of the unit that switches between outputs. Must be a 360.

The output button on the front of the reciever switches between the DVI and Component. This is most likely the issue. I had the same reciever up until a month ago when the DVI port was going out. It would be "staticy" but it never lost the picture. Also the reciever locked up daily, and I would have to reboot it. I called D* and complained about it and the Tech support guy was cool. He wrote it off as a software upgrade gone bad and swapped it out with a refurbished H10. I am glad he did that because it is by far better than that samsung :D

ok, well unplugged my component cables and reconnected my dvi to hdmi cable. still no pic. when i try and change channles for a millisecond, you see something on the screen but nothing material. sound is coming thru fine. I've played with the output button. it's currently set to SAT/ANT which should work (works w/component). nothing. format and res doesn't do poo.

in native mode, when i change channels you see the samsung display recognize the correct pic format.

any other thoughts?

thanks again,

elansp said:
ok, well unplugged my component cables and reconnected my dvi to hdmi cable. still no pic. when i try and change channles for a millisecond, you see something on the screen but nothing material. sound is coming thru fine. I've played with the output button. it's currently set to SAT/ANT which should work (works w/component). nothing. format and res doesn't do poo.

in native mode, when i change channels you see the samsung display recognize the correct pic format.

any other thoughts?

thanks again,

The output mode button switches between DVI and YPbPr, thats it.. (Sat/Ant is not a setting that has anything to do with the output mode button, that is a setting that is related to the TV/Video button on the remote)

You need to use the output mode button on the front of the STB to switch to the DVI output mode. you wil lbe able to see this on the front LED panel of the STB...

The info I am giving you is assuming you are using a Samsung 360..

all-

thx for the patience - at first it would only cycle through component and RGB. disconnected component cables and cycled through output one more time and once it hit RGB the DVI light illuminanted.

thanks again all,

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help needed in Naperville, IL area

Can't Watch while recording....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)